Poisonous Plants

• 7 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Poisonous Plants
« on: March 30, 2011, 16:29 »
Hey all!

We're working on our garden and after a lot of heavy work finally getting down to planning the flower beds.  I've had a look at various sources about poisonous plants for chickens and found that there are quite a few on the list that we've had and so far no problems.  Found this list quite useful:

http://wiki.omlet.co.uk/index.php/List_of_plants_that_are_poisonous_or_harmful_to_chickens

We have daffs in various parts of the garden at the moment and the chooks just seem to ignore them - do you think it's safe to say that if it's bad for them they'll ignore or should be avoid things still.  I particularly like foxgloves but it seems to be a big no no... which is a shame!

Interested to see whether you think let nature do its thing or to protect the girlies...

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Poisonous Plants
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 00:44 »
I've been very impressed by my pullets' ability to avoid poisonous plants.  Either they have read the same books as me, or they have some innate ability to know what's not good for them.

Before I brought them home I tried to clear their overgrown run of various nightshades and caster oil plants, but didn't get them all.  Within a couple of days I notice the chickens had worn paths around the poisonous plants where they had walked and scratched right up to them and eaten everything else, but not those ones.  Some of the black nightshades had their leaves nibbled, but only a tiny bit.  The caster oil plants weren't touched.

I am beginning to trust my chickens' ability to eat what's good for them and avoid what's not.

BUT my pullets were 12 weeks old when I got them.  I don't know if younger chicks have this same insinct.  And if you leave chickens in an enclosed place they will eventually clear all the greenery out, including the poisonous plants, so they need to have plenty of other options.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45 »
lots more info here including links to a couple of sites regarding toxic plants:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4748.0
Staffies are softer than you think.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:50 »
I've been very impressed by my pullets' ability to avoid poisonous plants.  Either they have read the same books as me, or they have some innate ability to know what's not good for them.

I wouldn't suprise me in the least if the little blighters had read the same books, considering how well read they are in The Great Escape!  :D

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:22 »
Funny you should mention that... last night one of our hens was "missing".  Her name is 'Explorer Hen' because she's always going off... but she's never escaped before.

It was dusk when we realised she'd gone off and so didn't stand a chance finding her last night.

Open the curtains first thing this morning and could see her in the distance in a neighbour's veggie patch... opps!!

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:31 »
Think they should all be called Anne Robinson, No matter how well you 'think' they cant get out, they alwas find the weakest link   ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 17:20 »
Mine free-range the garden and last year munched on all sorts of stuff I would consider poisonous (eg rhubarb, foxglove) with no bad effects whatever.
I think they must know by instinct because they avoid certain plants like daffodil, tulip, lilies, iris etc.
Wish they'd eat the ground elder......but that's one they avoid.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 19:07 »
Oh now mine have scratched a few daffs up, tulip heads removed and chomped on my day lilly leaves  ::) All of which are OUTSIDE their area of garden. Granted not far enough away! But how will i learn what they can get up to if they dont teach me  ;)

xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy
xx
poisonous plants

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 08:28
by lukasmum
xx
poisonous plants

Started by westie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 14, 2007, 09:43
by Selkie
xx
Tomato Plants - Are they poisonous?

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 21:19
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 30 queries.