Post your poultry pictures here ;o)

• 1277 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
See how they have grown
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2007, 07:50 »
They are getting bigger, mum asked where my ducklings were and when I called them she was shocked at how fast they had grown in the 3 weeks since her last visit.  They are real characters and do this little play fight thing, I think its 2 Drakes trying to get a pecking order.
From little chap

To Bigger Chap

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15 »
They are sssssooooo cute  :!:  :D

diamond_lil

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2007, 11:11 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
[oooh, a welsummer!and i didn't even realise it, there is usually a darker brown egg, but haven't got a clue which one lays it, how dark is dark? if you know what i mean  :lol:

Sorry for delay in replying. What I call 'dark' is the colour of antique pine? Does that make sense? I could get the Dulux coloour chart out if you need me to?!!!! :D

diamond_lil

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2007, 11:14 »
The ducklings are so cute!

But on the subject of raising ducklings - if you buy them without a matyre mother duck, do be careful not to let them get waterlogged. Because they don't have a mum preening them they won't be waterproof until they are fully feathered and their preen gland is mature. The picture of the ones in the swimming pool looks at though they are a bit low in the water to me. If they had been in too long they coud have drowned. I know it sounds daft, but you do need to be careful.

slowef

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2007, 19:16 »
Thanks for that
 I know and we do not encourage them to go in, I just couldnt resist the photo before hoiking them out again.

We are fencing it off.  They do get too cold as you say and I have to towel dry and take them indoors to warm up every time they do it to make sure they don't chill.  It is not a practice we want them to get into but the toy boat doesn't seem to have the same appeal th them as a nice big blue pool!!  I know ducks can drown in water without mum to guide them and every tiime it is a mad rush to get them out before they do themselves a damage.  They have managed to get past me 3 times now but OH has nearly finished the fence so it should now be ok.

I never go out and leave them as I now they would get into trouble with the pool, but boy do I get dirty looks when I come home, as if to say what time do you call this to let us out.  The new Duck pond and fenced area especially made for them(they have a house and free range at the moment, but I am having a fox proof all the time enclosure made)  is going to finished very soon and they can move into that safer environment, they just grew faster than we could build it!!
S
xx

diamond_lil

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2007, 16:08 »
The new enclosure sounds like hard work but hopefully worth it.

We were away last night and had to leave our ducks out on the pond. We have come home to find one short. I hope she is roaming about somewhere and will return but it may well be that the fox has had her. If so I shall be so sad. The last time this happened, the missing duck hadn't been eaten, she had gone down the drain out of the pond! I realised when I heard this disembodied quacking! I was so worried about how we were going to get her out but next morning she appeared in the inspection chamber a few yards away quite happy. She is now called Drainy of course!!

One thing we have noticed with our ducks, who were all raised without a  mother duck, is that none of them seem to know they can fly. They get about a foot off the ground if they are really eager to get onto the pond, but, unlike the wild mallards on the nearby river, they never get any higher. Do let me know if yours fly when they get their feathers. Maybe it is something they only learn from Mum.

Diamond_lil

slowef

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2007, 19:29 »
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your Duck, hope it is ok and comes back again soon, I hate foxes when they kill and then leave it, what a waste of little lives.

Do Aylesbury's fly???  They can move at a fair lick when needed but their wings are so  tiny can't imagine them being able to get off the ground with them.  I suppose time will tell I shall let you know, hopefully not :-( I have enough stress to deal with.  

My poor OH is now in rebellion as I told him that one of the stables needed to be updated for the geese, he is not amused and I am banned from the livestock market for the forseeable future ( I should coco) Thats my day out every week.  I will try not to buy anything though....unless its cute and cuddly then my bidding card just flies up all on its own :-) don't know how it happens really!!
Sandra

purplebat

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "slowef"
unless its cute and cuddly then my bidding card just flies up all on its own :-) don't know how it happens really!!
Sandra

happens all by itself doesn't it slowef?  :lol:
DL: I hope your duck shows up and that Mr. Fox didn't get a free meal  :(
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

slowef

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 18:21 »
Little cutie today, I can't get over how happy they are just to sit in your hand, no wriggling or trying to get away :-)

slowef

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 22:36 »
Ah nice photo, I have 3 light sussex we call them The Terrorists!!  They are so greedy and fight everyone else off for food

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2007, 22:37 »
Bless 'em

I wonder what they are talking about   :wink:

02rlgudgin

light sussex
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2007, 22:40 »
yep mine do the exact same slowef, nd aunt sally i think they wre talkin about me they wre lookin at me funny
33 chickens and 2 lil call ducks woohoo

slowef

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 07:30 »
When the lettuce is bigger than you just throw it around the kitchen!!!

diamond_lil

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 14:08 »
Slowef, your duckling photos are just wonderful!  You must spend the day beside them with your camera poised. I never have it with me when they do something funny!

Mr Fox did get a nice duck supper I am afraid. We are down to three white Indian Runners and 6 brown 'of mixed parentage'. May have to pop off to Melton Mowbray and wave the old bidding card again. Seeing slowef's babies has made me go all broody!

I reckon the 3 Light Sussex are hatching a plot to raid the vegetable garden and the one in the background is having nothing to do with it!

Have a nice weekend all.

slowef

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 14:29 »
actually these are Goslings :-(  Beaks the only way I could tell them apart at the auction, more pointy for biting your bottom !!

Ahh sorry about your loss, treat yourself at the auction to a couple of new babies to spoil.

I was up at 5 this morning so I thought I would let them loose in the kitchen while I had a cuppa and try to get a few cute pics.  I must admit I do carry a camera most places though either digital or my phone, as you say you never know when a photo is going to be needed.

Reckon those Light Sussex are def into mischief!!

xx
pictures

Started by retribution on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 14:10
by Mulberry1990
xx
100% hatched (now with Pictures)

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 19:04
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
OMG!! Egg pipping (I think) **Pictures**

Started by PaulineM on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 12:10
by PaulineM
xx
New Chicken Pictures

Started by Jae Dawn on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 17:20
by corkee

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.