How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?

• 5 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?
« on: April 12, 2011, 22:05 »
After having taken a good crop from these plants for a year I see they are still going strong and looking healthy.  With the new ones for 2011 just germinating do I take out last year's lot to make room?  How long does this ecellent plant continue to flourish and does it deterioarte with age?  Your experiences and advice welcome.
John

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 23:17 »
Ideally you'd keep picking the established ones for as long as you can but they are a biennual so will start running to seed sooner or later this year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 23:51 »
I agree they are a wonderful crop! Just harvested another pile but they ARE producing the thick centre stalks that are flowers.
I thought I'd leave them in and keep cutting to see what happens but I shall sow some more ready.

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24 »
I agree they are a wonderful crop! Just harvested another pile but they ARE producing the thick centre stalks that are flowers.
I thought I'd leave them in and keep cutting to see what happens but I shall sow some more ready.

Mine are about 5 months old planted from seed and are producing the yellow flower now. It's my first time growing them and I planted too close together. I have eaten some baby leaves and they taste nothing like store bought spinach.... nice but not nutty.

Robster

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33 »
Mine from last year are still going strong and I have had two cuts this year.  I anticipate them coming out in a month or so to make way for brassica plants going in.  My sowing this year is in the cold frame and about 2 inches tall.  So I won't have too long without this useful crop.  So I reckon you can get at least 12 months harvest, but I have not pushed it to its maximum

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:45 »
Mine is still growing and cropping well from a later sowing last year.  Yesterday I planted two fresh rows of perpetual spinach, regular spinach and red (rhubarb) chard.

xx
perpetual spinach

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 13:34
by Ice
xx
Perpetual spinach

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 18:29
by barbarella
xx
perpetual spinach

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 19:38
by gobs
xx
SPINACH 'Perpetual'

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 09:57
by Plot No 2

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 40 queries.