Blackfly....the horror

• 29 Replies

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Re: Blackfly....the horror
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 19:06 »
great, now I have just realised the bits which I have been squashing are ladybird eggs as well as the black fly.  They're all over my runner beans, I think I may need to resort to a spray as it is really bad this year.  I just can't see the soap doing anything.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 19:58 »
There will shortly be a lot of ladybirds in our area as there are loads of larve and pupae all over my broad beans. They shoud be just in time to stop my runners from getting infected.
I even found a ladybird larva running about frantically on the path, and I thought it looked lost and hungry, so I put it on a broad bean leaf next to a lot of blackfly and it pounced on them imediately and started filling its little face. They are voracious predators.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 20:11 »
I found one on the kitchen windowcill, how it got in there  ::).....it has now been relocated to the rose by the front door ;)

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 21:24 »
Try dilute molasses spray, It tastes yuckky.

Greenun

You have repeatedly been requested not to post about unregulated, banned, illegal substances.

If you continue to do so then your membership of this forum will be reviewed.

As has been pointed out on this thread as well as personally to you, this forum cannot condone anything banned by the EU.

please excuse my ignorance,but what is wrong with Molasses?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 22:05 »
Flump, there is nothing wrong with molasses, it's just that all substances that have not been licensed by the EU are really illegal to use, and so cannot be recommended by the forum.

Swing Swang

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 22:07 »
Bob Flowerdew once suggested putting blobs of jam on plants to combat aphids - the theory being that ants like the jam so then don't want to milk aphids honeydew, but instead are encouraged to go int 'killer mode' and use the aphids for food instead. Don't know if this works, but as the jam is being used as and food (and not an insecticide) it's not illegal.

SS

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 22:44 »
Flump, there is nothing wrong with molasses, it's just that all substances that have not been licensed by the EU are really illegal to use, and so cannot be recommended by the forum.

Why should we roll over and meekly do as the EU says in our own gardens? Resist tyranny - that's what I say!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 22:49 »
What you do in your own gardens is at your own risk.  I mis-posted previously; it's domestic legislation you infringe when using an unlicensed substance (a criminal offence prosecutable in the magistrates' courts) - rather than EU as such.

What is posted on this forum is much more public, and we can't condone such activity.  That's all.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 23:22 »
I personally think it is a very good point.  These forums are used by inexperienced people, trying to get advice from more experienced people.  Left unmoderated we could end up doing (even) illegal things. Thank you all.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 23:24 »
What you do in your own gardens is at your own risk.  I mis-posted previously; it's domestic legislation you infringe when using an unlicensed substance (a criminal offence prosecutable in the magistrates' courts) - rather than EU as such.

What is posted on this forum is much more public, and we can't condone such activity.  That's all.

Yeah, ok, but I'd be very surprised if it was actually an offence to use any substance on your own produce, for your own consumption: the legislation probably applies to commercial growers.

greenun

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06 »
Yorkie

I have received a message from you stating that homemade pesticides are illegal.
And I replied  a mix of water and molasses or diluted milk which DOES NOT KILL ANYTHING  is not a pesticide but a deterrent. If there is such a law by the EU
then so be it . Even though I think it is the most stupid thing I've heard of this week and should be broken. The BRITISH PEOPLE must rise against this beaurocratic arrogance and sneak out at night and ....    and....   well I'd better not say anymore.

So what if I advocated NOT spraying plants with aforesaid tasty products - That would be upholding the law would it not?
What do other members think?

greenun

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12 »
Update
Well if it's local law that's different - write a letter to the Queen.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:13 »
Most of us think that it's stupid too greenun and a great many ignore it and carry on as before but we are not allowed to recommend non legal treatments on the forums.  

greenun

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 15:28 »
Geez Aunt Sally your beautiful, is that really you? :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 18:09 »

Yeah, ok, but I'd be very surprised if it was actually an offence to use any substance on your own produce, for your own consumption: the legislation probably applies to commercial growers.

Sorry VV, it's a blanket thing - not just commercial growers.

xx
Brussels.....the horror

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 21:00
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Allotment Horror! Eviction Notice

Started by rusbli on Grow Your Own

70 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 12:16
by Green man
xx
Getting rid of blackfly

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 21:28
by Swing Swang
xx
blackfly

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 21:27
by noshed

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.