Hiya All!! Newbie here advice and guidance needed ;-)

• 3 Replies

tillymint

hello to all you lovely people i have been searching this site for the past couple of weeks and there's just so much to take in   :ohmy:

I've just picked up my key for my new allotment for which i have been on the waiting list for 2 years and i had almost given up hope of ever getting one   :D

We have 250 square metres which has lots of straw like grass growing on it and I was hoping for some advice on getting started and what to do first.  Should i dig all the grass out or treat it with weed killer?  Obviously, due to the size of our plot we're going to start at the front and work back but not take on too much at once just do a few sections at a time.

I have uploaded a photo of our plot and would be grateful for some comments and advice.

We are getting a greenhouse and shed for the site and are thinking of having sectioned beds with scaffolding boards around.  We were hoping to start off with potatoes, onions and carrots but i'm open to any advice on other vegetables to get started off with.

I am so excited and enthusiastic to get started but just dont know what to do first!!

Sorry if i have asked too many questions but this is all new to me and ive only ever grew herbs and strawberries in my garden!!!!

Thanking you in advance.

Carla x
allotment 2 75pc.jpg

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Hiya All!! Newbie here advice and guidance needed ;-)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 17:49 »
Nice plot!

Its going to depend on whether you agree with using weedkiller or not. In my own humble oopinion, you have to dig it anyway to get the roots of the grass out, so if it was just me Id dig only.  

Scaffolding boards are a good idea, though you dont have to have them.  They look neat and tidy, but they can be expensive, and you can put in paths instead to break the beds into sections.

Definately get some spuds in, its fantastic to see things growing.  Get a section well fed with well rotted manure if you can and get them planted!

Carrots and onions are also worth it, though you might find your soil is stony under there which will make for some strange shaped carrots! But don't manure your carrot bed!
Theres lots of things you can try too......courgettes are great croppers, along with cut and come again lettuces, beetroot, turnips and radishes as these are all quick, not too hard work and very satisfying.

Above all, enjoy and take your time, there's no rush.  If you get your planning sorted out you will be surprised at how quickly it seems to move along without you realising.

And take photos!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

tillymint

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 20:40 »
Hi Peapod

Many thanks 4 ur post and for the advice its greatly appreciated. 

Personally i dont like the thought of using weedkiller unless its absolutely necessary so hard work it is then ha ha.  We do have the mother in law on board and some friends offering to help so i just might take up the offer  ;)  We would like to involve our two daughters aged 9 and 5 so any suggestions on something easy that they can tend to?

When we've dug up the grass can we put it on the compost pile that we're going to have at the very back of our plot?  Also, once all grass is dug up what do i put down ready to start planting i.e. topsoil or compost?

Thanks for the suggestions on what to plant.

Sorry for asking so many questions i dont want to become a nuisance  ::)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 20:53 »
You arent a nuisance at all!

My lad is 10, and is very excited about growing strawberries this year.  They do need netting from the birds which is an added hassle, but they are easy to look after and kids love them.  Peas are also a good one too, but a wee bit fiddly for kids.  Ive never known a kid who cant resist a peapod straight from the plant (and grown ups too  :blush: ) Try pumpkins too...get a bit if manure in a bed and start them off april time. The kids have a good quick germination to keep an eye on, and the seeds are big enough for kids to handle too.  They can have one each and have a competition for the largest!

As for the grass, lift it off in a layer, turn it upside down and stack up.  In a few months to a year you will have lovely compost.

You may not even need topsoil or compost.  Depends what there is under that grass, so no point spending out unnecessarily until you can see if its needed.  Id always recommend incorporating manure/home made compost/leaf mulch for the benefit of the soil, but as yours hasn't been use for a while then you may well not even need it this year. That's if you don't have raised beds though.

xx
general guidance needed!!

Started by stantra on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:32
by Yorkie
xx
Guidance needed moving stuff about

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:33
by AmandaLouise
xx
Advice needed for newbie

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 11:52
by supersprout
xx
Newbie advice needed re: vegetarian fertilizer

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 20:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.