Perpetual spinach

• 8 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Perpetual spinach
« on: April 05, 2009, 15:28 »
I have sowed some perpetual spinach in jiffy pots and they have germinated well.  I know that the seeds are actually fruits and contain more than one seed so should I pinch out all but one seedling in each jiffy pot before planting them out in the allotment? 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Perpetual spinach
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 16:56 »
Welcome to the site Barbarella  :D

'Fraid I don't know as I don't grow this, but hopefully a moderator will move your thread to the Grow Your Own forum where more people should see it and will even possibly know how to answer !!  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 17:07 »
Your wish is my command Yorkie1.

I grow perpetual spinach and would advise you to pinch them out and leave one per pot for planting out. 

Pop over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself Barbarella.
Cheese makes everything better.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 17:08 »
I have sowed some perpetual spinach in jiffy pots and they have germinated well.  I know that the seeds are actually fruits and contain more than one seed so should I pinch out all but one seedling in each jiffy pot before planting them out in the allotment? 

I don't know if this is what your ment to do but I don't pinch them out, I plant them out as they are and this works for me. I grow PS each year this way and end up with a healthy 12ft double row.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 17:11 »
Your wish is my command Yorkie1.

I grow perpetual spinach and would advise you to pinch them out and leave one per pot for planting out. 

Pop over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself Barbarella.

Just typing up a reply and you beat me to it Ice. Also instead of pinching out, if you don't like wasting healthy-looking seedlings, you can try sliding the unwanted looking plants out (including the root) using tweezers and replant in other pots to give more plants for planting out. I use this approach with beetroot as well but expect some casualties.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 18:03 »
Thanks very much for the replies - two for pinching out and one against so far  ::)  I am tempted to pinch out (and try to rescue) some and popping the other jiffy pots in as they are - a sort of mini trial.  I will make a note to come back to this topic at harvest time and let you know how I got on.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 18:20 »
If you want lots of baby spinach don`t thin them out , if you want a few big plants do. I think this is true with most veg.You can always pick some plants hard and remove later.

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 18:22 »
Perpetual spinach has been one of my biggest success stories from my first year last year (began July).  Got some plants from Ebay and planted this quite a big distance apart.  Got lots of large leaves.  In a separate bed I planted lots of seeds and didn't thin at all and have lots of smaller leaves (great for salads raw as well as steamed).  I am still picking from the plants now.  I have had loads of leaves off both sets.  If I were you I would do a bit of each.  Prick some out for the larger leaves but leave some as they are for smaller baby spinach.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 18:29 »
Perfect solution - thanks for that.

xx
spinach beet, perpetual spinach

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:32
by viettaclark
xx
perpetual spinach - spinach beet

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:25
by viettaclark
xx
How perpetual is Perpetual Spinach?

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 08:45
by dig4victory
xx
Perpetual Spinach

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:12
by Kristen

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 28 queries.