Bare soil or cover?

• 19 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Bare soil or cover?
« on: October 23, 2017, 13:41 »
Hi folks
I am leaving one of my raised beds compost and manure free for root veg in spring.  My question is should I cover with membrane fabric, cardboard or nothing? The soil is pretty light and free draining so given the likely winter rainfall should I cover it with something? I understand black plastic harbours slugs and don’t need any more of those!
Cheers.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Bare soil or cover?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 14:08 »
Personally I would never cover a bed, if anything I would sow a green manure to help protect it over winter and lock the nutrients in.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Christine

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 18:53 »
I'm with Aidy - green manure or nothing.

Took over an allotment last January which had a large area which had been covered for a year. It's only just recovering after a season of work on it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 19:12 »
Just shows how if you ask a question you'll get several answers at odds with each other 😂

I cover empty beds with weighted down black plastic for three reasons, or is that four?

1. Protects the soil's surface against erosion and gives the worms extra shelter ... (if you have added leafmould or manure etc that is quite handy)
2. Reduces the amount of nutrients diluted by Winter rains
3. Stops the ground getting waterlogged
4. Warms the soil come the Spring, for sowing seed/planting out small plants

Works for me, but each to their own

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 19:22 »
In reality, half my Winter plot is covered with kale, brussels, PSB, Japanese onions, garlic, standing parsnips, leeks in a good year, spinach, broad beans and various dormant perennial fruits and herbs. Winter isn't necessarily the empty plot some have.

The rest is a mixture of covered dug beds earmarked for particular crops, mulched with rotting crops, green manures, and standing seedless weeds that I assume also lock in the goodies just as efficiently as "non weeds". I keep trying to increase my green manured beds, but it's not easy, and rely on quick Summer buckwheats and the like. This year, probably only 50 square meters of a 400 square metre plot is green manured.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 19:25 »
I probably didn't make it clear that like you, VP, a large number of beds are filled with Winter/Spring crops growing away. No empty plots here, you know!! We eat all year round

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 19:27 »
I’ve got packets of green manure seed but dare I confess  I’ve never used it, not sure why just never really know what &when & how
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 20:08 »
I probably didn't make it clear that like you, VP, a large number of beds are filled with Winter/Spring crops growing away. No empty plots here, you know!! We eat all year round
Absolutely Sunny. One year I hope to have banished the "hungry gap"
It's a plan I'm going to try next year which involves a small polytunnel, or more likely a couple of cloches, better use of the greenhouse not letting the tomatoes and cukes dominate for so long, and a slight change in my diet. Being vegetarian, it will involve a lot more dried beans next season, and a few late/early cusp covered cops I've avoided up until now. Looking forward to the challenge and organisation.
Once I've achieved my goal, I might just let a lot more of my plot lay fallow and manured for a year, as a thank you.

ptarmigan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 11:35 »
I mulch with anything I can find - cardboard if I have some, manure, rotted leaves, home made compost, seaweed, mushroom compost.  It all helps keep the weeds down.

I've only ever used black plastic when I've had a bed with a really bad perennial weed problem and I've covered it for a year or longer.   I've got enough spare space I can do that.

My plot neighbour covers with black plastic over the winter and it seems to work for him. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 20:26 »
Just shows how if you ask a question you'll get several answers at odds with each other 😂
Yep and this is what make interesting :lol:

I don't use raised beds for various reasons  :lol: :lol: and like most I do have a lot still growing etc but those that are empty I do green manure as our soil is sandy and the Fylde winds can strip the top over winter, I have found this the best method.
I have yet to see a green manured bed going flying in the gales unlike one who bought shed loads of cover only to have it blown off his plot in a major gale  :lol: :lol: :lol: may I say along with his netted tunnel that wasn't secure enough.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 23:42 »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.  I have used green manure before but thought that might make the soil to rich for roots?  I have got winter crops growing in some of the beds but there are only so many brassicas we can eat and my other half isn’t keen on them.  The site is pretty exposed and any covering would have to be very secure so although I tend to agree with Sunshineband’s reasons for covering I would worry about stuff blowing off.  Some of the brassicas are already leaning at a very precarious angle after Brian!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 07:41 »
You need to either buy the pegs that are sold for fixing the sheeting down, or use bricks, wood (heavy like old fence posts/ walking boards) or large plastic milk bottles filled with sand/earth. All of these are used with success on our windy site  :)

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41 »
You need to either buy the pegs that are sold for fixing the sheeting down, or use bricks, wood (heavy like old fence posts/ walking boards) or large plastic milk bottles filled with sand/earth. All of these are used with success on our windy site  :)
Will do Mum, thanks!

Aled

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 09:51 »
Really interesting thread all, as for the first time I'm considering covering half my plot for the winter.
(Parsnips etc still in the other)
Cheers
Aled

ptarmigan

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:37 »
My plot is very windy and also very wet - can be pretty much waterlogged in winter - so I worry that covering with black plastic will just leave me with stagnant beds.

I'm on clay as well which doesn't help with that.

So green manure or mulch really works for me. 

And also makes it much much easier to weed in the spring.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:38 by ptarmigan »

xx
Cover up or bare all?

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 15:35
by FRUITFULL
xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 37 queries.