Hedging advice

• 11 Replies

Totty

Hedging advice
« on: January 18, 2014, 18:38 »
Hi all, I have been getting earache from my better half about screening off our back garden. Had a quote for fence materials and it's around 500 quid, so a hedge it is then!
To be honest I'd sooner have a hedge anyway.
I'll be getting fairly large root balled plants, so can't be choosing Yew for instance as it would cost a fortune.
Most of the hedges in our area are privet, so that is one option. Another I thought of is hawthorn but I'd sooner have an evergreen hedge really.
So what do you all suggest. It's important that it's a tight hedge that creates privacy. Ideally evergreen, although beech is nice in winter holding onto its old leaves till spring, it's still not really tight and can be looked through easily.

Totty

fatcat1955

Re: Hedging advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 18:50 »
Western red Cedar, unlike most conifers will regrow if cut back hard and gives you a lovely pineapple smell when you cut it. Can be kept down to 2mts and forms a lovely dense green hedge.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 18:53 »
I second fatcat's suggestion there as it does small gorgeous.

An alternative evergreen is escallonia, which also has the bonus of small flowers,
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barley

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 18:53 »

Viburnum Tinus -

is a shrub not generally used for hedging but could be easily made into one , evergreen and pretty flowers in winter &  tough as old boots

Totty

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 18:58 »
Have looked at the red cedar before too. It does indeed make a nice hedge, but to get hold of large plants is also very pricey. I should have mentioned, that planting the hedge then waiting years for good height is a no no. Thanks for your replies upto now.

Totty

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 19:02 »
Try Hopes Grove Nursery, based in Tenterden. They stock good sized plants and offer a decent priced delivery on pallets.

Have bought quite a bit from them over the years.

They have an online catalogue

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 21:59 »
Buckingham nurseries is a place you should try too.

Totty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:10 »
Thanks for your replies, I have decided (yawn) to go with privet. Very boring I know, but the hedge will join the one we currently have around the front, which is also privet.
I can get hold of some 3-4 foot plants which, when established will give a good screen fairly quickly.
I reckon that by buying bigger plants, it will mean that the bottom of the hedge may be a bit more gappy than if shorter plants were used, but how about if I plant the hedge, probably about a foot apart, then take cuttings from our existing hedge later in winter and dot them in between the bigger plants. Hopefully over time these should root and fill any gaps lower down? I'll be putting in a nice arched gate too, which hopefully I'll be able to (over time) train the privet over.
One last thing, has anyone planted something like honeysuckle in amongst a formal hedge? Something to add a bit of colour or interest to quite a bland block of green? Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:24 »
Common as it is, and a little dull, I'm a secret admirer of the amazing durability of privet (I have to be really, my 100' garden is surrounded by it, and the property Deeds state they cannot be replaced by fencing.  ;))

About a foot apart is exactly what's recommended HERE, amongst other helpful advice (don't think you would need any additional plants to provide good cover.)

I've got a Halliana honeysuckle which has 'escaped' from its support, rambled across the patio behind the greenhouse and has been trying to climb up through the hedge (not really with much success because the hedge is quite dense, and of course has to be trimmed at least twice a year.  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:05 »
I did wonder if the honeysuckle would manage in a thick privet hedge. Is there anything else that would grow amongst the hedge and provide some interest, some rambling roses etc...
Totty

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:49 »
I was going to suggest Escallonia or Viburnum tinus, as they would give a good, dense hedge and don't grow as quickly as privet so needs less trimming. If you have decided on privet, then it is a really hungry feeder and takes away nutrients from quite a large area around its base. If you want plants to thrive in it, they would need a lot of feeding.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Totty

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 20:59 »
The hedging plants are going to be about 6 foot away from the veg beds. The level of the garden is also higher than the boundary line by about a foot, then the veg beds are 12 inch raised beds, so I'm hoping the hedges roots won't be interfering too much. Another reason for choosing it is that 90% of the hedging in our locality is privet, so I know the soil suits them, and over time it can blend with our front hedge. Hopefully :)

Totty

xx
hedging advice please

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 18:59
by evie2
xx
Hedging for wildlife - advice please

Started by surbie100 on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 17:16
by savbo
xx
Pruning advice for hazel hedging please

Started by poultrygeist on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 07:26
by poultrygeist
xx
Box Hedging

Started by Dotty on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 19:35
by black diamond

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 33 queries.