Problem with a different feathered friend!!

• 9 Replies

flangey

Problem with a different feathered friend!!
« on: August 18, 2009, 14:22 »
This isn't the best place to ask this but thought it would be worth a try.  I noticed my girls chasing what I thought was a very small dove in the garden this morning, which wasn't flying away.  Thinking it was injured and going to the rescue, I discovered it wasnt a dove at all but a Cockatiel!! Having no knowledge of domestic birds like this and owning 4 cats and 3 dogs as well, I put the poor little thing in a carrier with water and have contacted the village shop, local vets, RSPCA and police.  Nobody has reported it missing to any of these and I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions??Apologies as this is not really chicken related apart from my girls terrorising it!

iwantanallotment

Re: Problem with a different feathered friend!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 15:26 »
Maybe a "FOUND" notice in the local post office & newspaper?
If the bird only escaped today - and they can't usually survive for long in the wild - then maybe his owners haven't reported him missing yet, or maybe even aren't aware?

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 16:19 »
Whereabouts are you Flangey ?

Maybe someone reading this will know of one missing.

Rob 8)

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 16:21 »
The local vet might have heard of a missing bird.  There is often notices in the window about missing pets.  Is there no local animal shelter that you can take it to in the meantime.  I think the cockatiel has been really very lucky that you managed to catch it in time.  We had a lovebird escape once and never saw it again.  Suspect that the magpies or crows did for it.

flangey

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 20:18 »
hi, just a quick up date,  the RSPCA came out yesterday and took him.  The Inspector said they re home birds like him really easily, which made me feel better. I did all the local village stuff, notice in the shop and on lamp posts, all the vets and even the police!! Nobody seemed to have lost him! Anyway, I felt a bit bad that I couldnt keep him, but with 4 cats it just didnt seem fair.  He was a funny little thing, I kept him in a cat crate for the night with a little perch, food and water in there.  When the RSPCA said they couldnt come for him until late that afternoon, I felt he should have a bigger area to stay in.  I spent ages putting up my old puppy play pen to make a nice big cage for him, when I put him in it, he flew straight out and got back in the cat crate!! Talk about ungrateful.  :lol:  Hope he gets a nice home though  :wub:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 20:44 »
Bless, well done flangey  :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 22:15 »
Unfortunatley cockatiels are very noisy and a lot of people let them out because of this (even tame ones).

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 22:36 »
hi, just a quick up date,  the RSPCA came out yesterday and took him.  The Inspector said they re home birds like him really easily, which made me feel better. I did all the local village stuff, notice in the shop and on lamp posts, all the vets and even the police!! Nobody seemed to have lost him! Anyway, I felt a bit bad that I couldnt keep him, but with 4 cats it just didnt seem fair.  He was a funny little thing, I kept him in a cat crate for the night with a little perch, food and water in there.  When the RSPCA said they couldnt come for him until late that afternoon, I felt he should have a bigger area to stay in.  I spent ages putting up my old puppy play pen to make a nice big cage for him, when I put him in it, he flew straight out and got back in the cat crate!! Talk about ungrateful.  :lol:  Hope he gets a nice home though  :wub:

you big softie you :D well done, i love reading story's like this.

bexy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:27 »
Hi.I suppose it's a bit late now but another sorce to contact is the local radio station.
Well done though  :)

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:46 »
I see a cockatiel or two just about every year, you normally hear them before you see them. They are very vocal when flying and they fly high and fast so if they have been out for a few days they could have escaped 100 miles away. I`m suprised they haven`t become naturalized like the green parakeet.

xx
Feathered Friends

Started by kizza on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 22:42
by kizza
xx
brahma chicks one feathered more......

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 11:52
by Squiggly
xx
Feathered friends for the first time...

Started by poached4me on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 22:34
by Gardening Mark
xx
Banding for leg feathered breeds

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 11:29
by joyfull

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 36 queries.