Leeks

• 16 Replies

Liz

Leeks
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:33 »
I seem to have a lot of leeks left. Is it possible to freeze them please or do I need to find lots of leek recipes! Don't suppose they can be stored for too long either can they?  :?
Not necessarily organic

milkman

Leeks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 13:41 »
Just leave them in the ground till as and when you need them, if you don't use them leave them to flower later in the year for hoverflies and beneficial insects or add them to the compost heap.

Have you tried baking them in a cheesy sauce?
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

shaun

Leeks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 13:57 »
i like mine slightly steamed then finish them off in the frying pan with olive oil and lots of black pepper with bangers and mash  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

Leeks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 14:16 »
Yes, they freeze really well but try some leek and potato soup.  I could live on the stuff.  Try http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/leek-onion-and-potato-soup,1810,RC.html but I use the whole leek.

Annie

Leeks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 14:35 »
Smaller ones are nice braised in olive oil and white wine,get really hot one the hob then cover and cook in a med/hot oven for 30 mins.delish.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Leeks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 16:37 »
I love leek and potato soup, but if I have leeks with my dinner, I just slice them quite thinly, and sweat them in a small saucepan with a knob of butter and some black pepper, much better than boiled as OH likes them, okay not very slimming either, but............ TASTY!!!!!

Annie

Leeks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 19:06 »
OH thought he hated leeks as he`d only had them boiled,I sweat them in butter too.They`re also good to cut lengthways into strips and stirfry.

muntjac

Leeks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 20:56 »
cut into strips .make cheese on toast . put a couple drops worcester sauce onc heese n leave in gril to cook of and melt slice the leeks thinly and drop loads into a wok with a little oil flash fry n serve ontop ya cheese or put em ontoast  under ya cheese n do as normal ,,,, dont ferget ya worcester sauce
still alive /............

WG.

Re: Leeks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 21:21 »
Quote from: "Liz"
Is it possible to freeze them
I mentioned in my earlier reply that they freeze well but forgot to mention the main drawback ... I tend to find them only when trying to make room in the freezer 12 months later for the next year's leeks!

If I make the soup and then freeze that, then it actually gets eaten.

Liz

Leeks
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 16:41 »
Thanks everyone guess i'll be all leeked out soon!  :)

paul_holmes

Stir Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 07:21 »
I have only recently started cooking leeks and have found I really like them. I use them a lot in stir fry. Slice them long ways and add them to any type of stir fry, maybe with spring onion and any other veg of your choice. I let them soften down as i cook them in some soya sauce or indeed a bit of teriyake sauce, lovely with any meat.
  The potaote and leek soup is  spot on, I make that also and freeze it. Def going to try the cheese on toast, sounds good. :tongue2:
OOOOOOO me back, it better be worth it....

WG.

Leeks
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 10:31 »
Does anyone throw out the green parts of leeks 'cos I think that is a real shame.  You can include nearly the whole thing or, if you don't want green bits in your recipe then keep them for leek and tattie soup.  Failing all else, use them in the stock pot.

Annie

Leeks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 15:32 »
Never really occurred to me not to eat the green part,mostly any loose leaves or trimmed ends are used in stock or chopped up frozen and put next to any chicken carcass waiting in the freezer.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Leeks
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 19:14 »
I chuck little leeks in with the root veggies to roast - yum!

cozzcov

Leeks
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 17:48 »
I got given this recipe recently, its apparently a traditional Co. Durham recipe:-
8oz plain flour,
4oz suet,
pinch of salt,
1tsp baking powder,
1lb of leeks.

Shread leeks and mix with other ingredients, mix to a sticky dough with a little cold water.  Put in a greased pudding basin and steam for 2hrs.
You serve it with mince and onions in gravy.  

Sounds yummy but not tried it yet so can't comment on how good it is.

I make a veggie lasagne based on cooked leeks in a white sauce.  Alternated between the lasagne with a tomato sauce.  So tomatoes, then pasta, then leeks, pasta, tomato, pasta, finish with leeks add cheese on top.  I've also used the leeks in sauce as a filling for canelloni and ravioli.

xx
Leeks

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 22:16
by Yorkie
xx
What can I do with leeks

Started by diggerjoe on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 13:53
by Ropster
xx
leeks & blanching

Started by jking99 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 13:02
by jking99
xx
Roasted Leeks

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 16:45
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.