plaice roes ,well any roes if ya like

• 23 Replies

muntjac

« on: February 13, 2007, 22:58 »
i got a couple kilos today cheap i know its not good to freeze them raw   so i decided to cook them first 2 kilos is a lot of roe to eat in one sitting ,( even for me " :wink:)  so i thought id try steaming them in the pressure cooker as well as the usual way i do em boil them ( big cod roes ) or in  a  rice basket or aluminum steamer on top of a pan plaice and herring roes ( fry melts in flour on a low setting for a few mins until crispy brown on one side n turn over ). i can tell ya the pressure ones are even tastier than the boiled or steamed othewise version im drinking a pint of 2's n a small plate of roes with a little vinegar and pepper on them , food fit for a king or what  :wink:
still alive /............

king cauli

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 17:17 »
love herrings roe fried in butter with some toast for breakfast,tasty,must have some salt and pepper on though,mmmmmmmm...................long whistle,short whistle,long whistle,welcome aboard cappun birdseye,not :!:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

SkipRat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 21:27 »
I love cod roes, not the tinned stuff , I used to be a trawlerman (long ago when we still had a fishing industry). So used to get them fresh as can be. I used to boil them then mix a little bit of tomato sauce in hmmmm lovely.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 23:18 »
i sailed on the cat boats n the football boats as a kid during hols ,,, galley boy n cooked them roes lolo better with vinegar. i also cleane dthe nets after we got in for crabs lol

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 23:40 »
I think roes are something typically British. Aren't they fish eggs?  :?

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 23:41 »
sure are mate ,,, salmon roes are tasty to

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 00:08 »
With all the other game, fish and animals available to eat, why do you want to eat fish eggs? I tried caviar once, and nearly puked it straight into my drink. Ugh!  :tongue2:

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 00:12 »
becuase i eat all the fish and if its has roes or melts ( male sperm sacs ) i like to eat that as well waset nothing .the rest i can grind down n feed to my cats or ferrets . i used to love that dried salmon u folks get in canada

SkipRat

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:17 »
My favourite eating fish has got to be John Dory, we used to catch the odd one or two when pelagic trawling in the channel for mackeral. The rest of the crew would save them for me if I was watch below. Then I would fillet them all then fill a Long Life beer case up for home. That was my fish fry. Swaddy soup that was another favourite.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 11:26 »
have to say a big whiting is mine in nice crispy batter

WG.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 11:45 »
Sea trout for me.  Used to fish for them in Scapa Flow, or in the peedie (small) lochs after a really high tide had brought them in.

Mind you, I've got about 10 fish/shellfish in my top 5 ... haddock, halibut, monkfish, brown trout, scallops, partens, lobster, lemon sole, spoots (razor fish) ...    

Brother-in-law cooks up some great Aussie ones too, yabbies, flake (which I think is a shark), and prehistoric looking things called bugs.

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 11:49 »
i love razors as well .we get em washed up after a big storm here in the novgales every year but they are dying .i mangae to sort a few out n get em back in the water to revive em . i just steam em with seaweed on the beach dam they are good , how often do you get them wg?

WG.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 12:01 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i love razors as well .we get em washed up after a big storm here in the novgales every year but they are dying .i mangae to sort a few out n get em back in the water to revive em . i just steam em with seaweed on the beach dam they are good , how often do you get them wg?

They are plentiful in Orkney and a lot of people catch them during low Spring tides.  All you do is walk backwards across the sand with a big kitchen knife, they react to the presssure of your weight and send up a spout of water (hence spoots) as they retract into their burrows.  You've gotta be quick but you can slice through the sand with your knife and trap them by the shell before they go too deep.   Then you dig down with your spare hand and pull him out gently (frequently lacerating your cold-numbed fingers in the process).

Home you go, spoots into a basin of fresh water to make them spit out the sand.  Drain and pour in a kettle of boiling water to open the shells.  Then fry them in butter for a matter of seconds.  Serve with another Orkney delicacy, bere bannocks.  Bere is a sort of primitive barley still grown for exactly this purpose.

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03 »
i dont use a blade to catch em i used a pot of salt and also a knitting needle with a hook turned in the end . pour salt in and they nigh on jump out the hole fer ya mate lolo, the knitting needle down the blow hole n push through n pull up .. not as good as the salt trick tho. did that in sollom voe

WG.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 12:11 »
Interesting.  Takes a bit of practice to see the hole unless the sand is that little bit drier.  Some folks wade for them in 6" or so of water - they can see where the critters are filter-feeding and simply slip their fingers around and pull them out.

This forum is incredible ... NEVER did I think I'd be taking advice from a Lincolnshire Poacher on how to catch an Orcadian delicacy!   Sorry, Poacher is the folk song, yer a Suffolk Gamekeeper now!  :lol:  :lol:

xx
herring melts/roes

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2006, 13:02
by James

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 36 queries.