pecking bums!

• 6 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
pecking bums!
« on: August 07, 2012, 21:09 »
My 2 top hens are pecking the feathers on each others bums. I think they were going into moult which is what started the behaviour. I just noticed they have both drawn blood from each other so ive cleaned them up and put antibacteria powder on. I have no purple spray but can get some tomorow. Is their anything else I can do to help them or stop the behaviour? The move to there new enlarged run thurday so hopefully that should take their minds off attacking each others bums.

jhub

• jane
Re: pecking bums!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 23:02 »
Some birds feather peck if diet is lacking in protein. Might be worth cutting out treats.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 23:15 »
They dont get treatr too often anyway only a couple of times a week which make me wonder if there pellets are good enough quality.  The 2 slightly younger hen who are lowest in the pecking order are find and havnt been involved in any bum pecking.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 00:53 »
How much run space do they have? Do they free range? The larger run may help as limited space can stress chickens and lead to aggressive behaviour. I hang greens in a bird feeder( the suet ball ones with large holes) and this keeps my hens busy for ages.
Purple spray is a good idea as there is a risk of cannibalism once blood is drawn. Anti peck spray may also help.
Have you checked for lice?
You could try increasing protein levels for a few weeks- dried mealworms or tinned wet cat food a couple of times a week. Casey recommends switching to chick crumb or growers pellets for a couple of weeks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:56 »
If it continues then try fitting beak clips onto those doing the pecking - they can still eat and drink but not grasp feathers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05 »
THe run they have now is big enough nd its low so the chooks cant jump on things etc. Their new run is a wall in one and is even bigger so the hieght of there old ond could have stress them.yes the do free range. Was thinking beak cleaps will give it a go. I just checked their bums and they have nicely scabbed now and ive put some more antbacterial powder on will get purple spray as soon as I finish work. I will also try the added protein.thanks

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:11 »
Sorry just re read all that hope you understand I did it on my phone and my phone is playing up :lol:

xx
Bald Bums

Started by chestnutwizard on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 11:58
by kegs
xx
Featheless bums

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 10:45
by Ma Lowe
xx
what causes of yukky bums

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 17:49
by karlooben
xx
more mucky bums

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:52
by karlooben

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 39 queries.