Poorly hen and Blood around Vent!

• 14 Replies

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
Poorly hen and Blood around Vent!
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:48 »
Hi All,
         Today I've noticed one of my Ex_battery hens that has been fit & well since June, today is very subdued, not eating and has blood around its Vent area.  Looks quite nasty  there.  Does anyone suggest anything I can try, before a visit to the Vet?
The other two Hens with it seem fine at present.    Tim

lisa80

Re: Poorly hen and Blood around Vent!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:52 »
im new to this but if it was me i would try cleaning her to see whats going on .also maybe putting her on her own somewhere quiet so you can observe her.she may have been pecked but it might be hard to see unless you give her a clean .hope this helps ! im sure someone will be along soon who can help  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:00 »
Sounds like a possible prolapse.  I would keep her comfortable and warm.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi morning,this very same thing happened to one of my hens last week she died   this morning another hen is bleeding and has a red thing at her vent area only this time i have seen the others pecking at her, i have put her on her own, i am now thinking what to do about this,blood was dripping onto the floor, help please i love my hens tc
T C TOP CAT

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:28 »
I sounds like a prolapse. I have not had any experience.  Do a search on here for prolapse

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:15 »
Thanks very much, I guess i'll visit the Vet later and i'll reply on here what he says.
Better get my Credit card ready!  :(      Best wishes. Tim

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:31 »
I  hope you get on ok with the vet, yes please let us know what he says, i have put my hen in a place on her own i have washed her bottom, but it looks normal apart from her bottom is pluseing, dont know why, she was looking a bit sorry for herself, but she has just percked up a bit, she is drinking, i dont know where to go from here, but you may be able to advise after you have been to the vet fingers crossed for your hen TC

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 13:01 »
Hi TC, usually the vent puckers if the hen is trying to pass something, or if the vent is irritated/tickled in some way.

Can you feel her abdomen to see if she is egg bound - though gently as you wouldn't want to break a fragile shelled egg.

A hen may more easily become eggbound with a soft shelled egg as there isn't anything for the internal muscles to contract against, so often putting them in a dark warm place, free from draughts can help a hen relax enough to pass the egg.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 13:31 »
Hi when i first picked her upo this morning some liquid came from her bottom it ran down my tee shirt it looked like the yellow of egg and bright red blood, when i put her down on the floor she dripped some drops of blood, it seems to have stopped now

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 13:35 »
Hi TC. Sounds like she is in a mess internally and will need some antibiotics and a good clean up.

If she has any egg inside, it will become infected. If she's been pecked, it may also become infected and if she has prolapsed, she may need stitching or some pile cream applying.
Either way, she sounds like she needs a vet.

ROb 8)

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 16:35 »
Hi we have washed her and had a good look, her vent seems to be normal, no blood not a scratch, we have creamed her and i have spryed her with the blue antibiotic spray that we have for the horse, we have built this morning a run with sleeping area so she can stay with the others but they cant get to her, this will be usefull for the future, i will see how she is tomorrow and go from there, i am going to see if we can stop her laying for a while, the prolaspe seems to have gone back on its own i only hope it stays there

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 18:58 »
Hi All. Took my poorly Hen to Vets yeaterday and it was nothing serious thankfully. He reckoned it was connected with the fact that Hen had just stopped laying for this year.
Also he gave me some cream to treat the very red skin the Hen has in certain areas.
Despite it growing back its feathers since June, there are still a few little "Sore" looking patches that are very red.  So I've now treated the Hen. Its much livelier today anyway.
Cost at vets was £20 incl the cream.
Pity there is'nt a proper book around on Hen ailments.
Then we could all save spending so much on Vets costs for simple treatments.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:17 »
Hi Tim, thats really good news about your hen, i think you may have helped me, this is what im thinking has happened to my girls only the others have started pecking at the sore area, ive now got 3 in isolation, my husband has gone on strike and said we now have 3 extra pens no more, even the hen that was being pecked herself has now started pecking another hen, my head is buzing not knowing how to stop this, was your hen bing pecked by the others? tc

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53 »
There are a couple of books about basic poultry health. One is called something like Avoid the Vet and has basic information about how to keep them healthy and what to do when they are not.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Timbo47

• Tim Brooks
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 18:34 »
Hi TC, yes the other hens had been pecking it, though all three hens seem to peck each other at times, which is very annoying.  Ive tried "Anti Peck Spray" which works for a while. But Hens still have a few "Red" Sore areas.  My Hens cannot be let loose on my garden though and remain in their  long run/house.
My Hen seems ok now other than the pecking.  Eggs are becoming fewer too as expected.

xx
Blood from vent

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 10:30
by bantam novice
xx
blood from vent and soft egg

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 22:56
by jill247
xx
loss of blood from vent

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 09:31
by dollybird
xx
She has blood coming out of her vent

Started by rykneld38 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:58
by rykneld38

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 29 queries.