Opinions/advice on new coop, please

• 20 Replies

Chickenstreet

« on: November 15, 2007, 07:52 »
Greetings, I am new to poultry keeping and have been reading up on this and other forums and am finding all the information invaluable and quite an aid to my confidence - it's  reassuring to know there are places such as these to come for help and advice. I don't have any hens yet but have just bought a coop which should arrive today.  I intend to set everything up as well as I can before buying any birds. I would be grateful if some of you would take a look at the design of the coop and point out what you might consider to be any obvious flaws or dangers.  Personally, I am wondering if it is not too going to be too well ventilated for the cold British winter and if I should make any modifications to it - and also if it is okay to have a pop-hole which doesn't shut.  On the other hand, being new to this, I am wondering if I shouldn't just trust the designers to have gotten it right?  

Any advice or observations from the experienced chicken keepers here would be much appreciated.

My Blog:Only Us Chickens

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:43 »
Welcome to the forum chickenstreet, nice looking coop. not sure about the lack of pop hole closure and the wire front seems a little large may get a bit drafty.  But I'm no expert & there are some really knowledgeable people on here so lets see what they have to say.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Selkie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34 »
i'm no expert either (only had my hens for about 6 months) but i'd imagine that you would need to close the pophole thingie at night or it would be very draughty; and i know hens don't like draughts.

it shouldnt't be too hard to make a kind of sliding cover (though i'm no diy person either :roll: ) -- are there ventilation holes drilled in the side of the house? if you put a cover on the pophole you'd need a few holes on the wall of the house.

Chickenstreet

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:35 »
Thanks richyrich - it's arrived now and is standing against the wall outside in two enormous boxes.  I'm almost afraid to begin unpacking it... hope there are assembly instructions inside.  :?  :)

Chickenstreet

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37 »
Rosemary - hi, thanks. I don't know about ventilation holes - it's just arrived, I will have a go at unpacking it now.    :)

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:40 »
hi :D  oooh good luck with constructing it -- rather you than me :D

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:23 »
u have done well ,couple modifications to the coop id sugggest .first if the pop hole hasnt got a door ,.fit one from 1/4 ply .2 brass type hinges and screws with some 1x1 inch batten  will suffice .small turn knob fitted to it should secure it for the night .also get some 1/2 by 4 inch planed deal plnaking.paint this with exterior grade wood preservative  and cut to length of the wire sides  fit to about 1ft up from the back side and the 2 ends .this will afford a wind break from those three sides ,other than the chimney and double glazing i reckon its brill
still alive /............

Chickenstreet

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 10:43 »
Rosemary - no, I can't see any ventilation holes.  I am laughing at even the prospect of starting trying to put this together - it looks like something  from the Krypton Factor, but at least there are two sheets of diagrams and the right number of screws with it...

Muntjac, thanks for your suggestions and how to go about them. No, there is no door, so I will make one.  

I am thinking to cover the big vented area next to the door in the coop with perspex, and then put in some ventilation holes - does that sound okay?

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 11:18 »
i think it wil be fine with what it has  if you just drill through some half inch holes under the eaves as close to the timber framing as possible ,.forget the window ,they can sleep in if you dont wake them up with the sun  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 11:19 »
sorry ,is that door wired?
 if so close it up completly with plyboard ......thats a daft idea if its wire  :roll: i think this is an american style coop .they have it open due to heat in the south ,more north america would have less open space . :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 12:06 »
That looks lovely.  Munty's alterations are very wise (always listen to him his advice is good).  

Don't forget to make the run fox proof.  The weldmesh wire will be fine but foxes dig really well.  I'd recommend a weld mesh skirt about 12 inches wide all the way round if you want to have it movable.  If you intend keeping it in one place then bury some weldmesh to a depth of about 12 - 18 inches all the way round.

Chickenstreet

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 13:59 »
Munty - yes, the (section next to the) door is wired - I was thinking it didn't seem like any chicken coop I've ever seen, so I will cover it.

Aunt Sally - yes, the idea is to move it about. I hope our dogs and quite high walls/fences will deter any foxes - I've never seen one here, but I suppose that might be because we've never had chickens; I will take your advice on board.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I am sanding and gluing some of the joints for extra strength now, and hoping to put it together tomorrow.

:)

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 14:11 »
looks great bet you an hardly wait to get the chickens in there, good idea to have something that can be moved about too.
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 14:47 »
what a wonderfully pretty coop, i can just imagine it with some cute ginham curtains.

Jellyhead

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 18:28 »
I agree with you there Happyvalley, I am sure Munty will too :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
Pox advice & opinions required!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 21:03
by redmolly
xx
Advice about new coop please

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:19
by dizzylizzie
xx
New Coop Advice Please...

Started by PackFlock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:32
by kegs
xx
coop advice please

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 23:23
by threeranger

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 35 queries.