neck moult-how long for regrowth?

• 7 Replies

rosie14

neck moult-how long for regrowth?
« on: July 07, 2012, 18:55 »
Hi my broody Orpington lost her neck feathers over a couple of days when she first became broody. We assumed it was the Bluebell pecking her as she was hogging the nest box even though they were best pals.

I only recently learnt it could be a neck moult. I am wondering if it is how long does regrowth take? I'm assuming it's taken a long time because she was obviously sitting for 3 weeks and nutritionally compromised and then since the chicks hatched (they are now 7 weeks) she has been eating prodominently chick crumb and lately growers pellets. Although I have been giving her layers and mixed corn by hand most days and she has been out free ranging with the chicks most days, sometimes for hours and hours if I am at home.

Helenaj

Re: neck moult-how long for regrowth?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34 »
It can vary - if you think she has used up all of her reserves over the last few weeks with being broody and raising chicks. It takes a great deal of energy to regrow feathers which is why hens tend not to lay when moulting - they can't spare the protein.
If the skin is not inflamed (indicating some other problem) and she's not sticking her head through anything and "rubbing" the feathers off, then give her a couple of more weeks - you can usually see the feathers as they grow in - tiny sharp tubes initially.

tatiana916

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 13:33 »
My chickens had a neck moult for coming up to 2 months now. She hasn't been broody or anything. I've put lice powder on her and she's been seperated for the bossy hen for 2 weeks now as I thought it was feather plucking yet they seem to be growing back so slowly! She can't be plucking them out herself as they're just under her chin. So just a waiting game I guess

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25 »
thanks for replies  :) I guess she's used all her reserves as you say and it's simply a waiting game. No lice or anything and no rubbing as far as I can see.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33 »
if feather loss is just under the chin this can often be because they are pushing their heads through a small hole and rubbing them off in the process.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 20:17 »
Joyful here she is the poor love (not that she seems to mind though!

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 20:33 »
aww, she is beautiful despite her turkey appearance. Her chicks are beautiful aswell. My orp was sitting for 3 weeks, but eggs got munched by some other hen, so we never got any chicks :(  she started to neck moult aboutg2 weeks ago and already her new feathers are starting to poke through like litte make up brushes. seems to be as a result from being broody.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

rosie14

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 20:56 »
thanks nic. 28 she does indeed look like a turkey neck lol! Her chicks are Pekins and all boys I fear  :( but time will tell for certain, they're so friendly and lovely. I'd have cried if that had happened to my poor hen. Hope you haven't let it put you off though.

although if your girls came through after 2 weeks then I'm a little concerned if i'm honest as chicks are over 7 weeks now and she was sat for 3 (obv.!) so that's 10 weeks however she doesn't seem to have regained her plumpness size wise yet and still feels lighter when I pick her up. She herself isn't one for another couple of weeks so maybe that too has an impact - that she sat at such a young age, although natural, she decided to go broody all on her own!

xx
Neck moult or not? Help please......

Started by 300AJC on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 16:44
by joyfull
xx
How long do they moult?

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 20:49
by gibbo
xx
how long should a moult last?

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 21:15
by Big Jen
xx
long lasting moult

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 12:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 39 queries.