help!

• 7 Replies

clare1401

• chicken balti
help!
« on: July 06, 2012, 21:24 »
hi, im new to keeping chickens and have had a brown ranger, blue belle and light sussex for about six weeks, getting two eggs every day, a few have been double yolkers. this week i have found papery thin shelled eggs in odd places around the garden and in the hen house( but not in the laying box) most days. i have been told to expect the odd mishape as they are young but im getting worried as it seems to have been every day this week or so. the chickens themselves all look healthy, bright clear eyes, tail feathers up, and enjoying free ranging round the garden, free access to grit and oyster shell mix, layers pellets and get treated with corn and mealworms in the afternoon., i have been using ACV in their water every fourth week. i cant work out which chicken the odd eggs are coming from, does anyone have any suggestions please?
1 blue belle, 1 brown ranger and 1 white sussex :)

kegs

Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:59 »
Obviously one of them is having trouble laying hard shelled eggs.  It could just be a temporary glitch as they are new to laying, or due to the awful weather. 

You seem to be doing everything that would normally be suggested (oyster shell etc) although you could try sprinkling some poultry spice on their pellets and cut back a bit on their treats just to see if it makes a difference.  Just monitor it for a while and see what happens.

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11 »
thank you for the kind words. just feel a bit useless, have had so much fun from them and hate to think one of them is suffering

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57 »
thank you for the kind words. just feel a bit useless, have had so much fun from them and hate to think one of them is suffering

Not useless at all and well done for trying to do something about it.  I don't think I've ever read that thin egg shells and worming are connected but have you wormed your girls with Flubenvet too?

Welcome to the site by the way.   ;)

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 17:45 »
have narrowed it down to the white sussex. still getting just squashed up shells but today got a squashed shell this morning and a formed white egg with a ruched area on shell this afternoon (after getting two other eggs in box) every day i get a normal sized brown egg and have been getting a very small  white egg, perfectly shaped-would this be off the blue belle as her comb is still pale?

the breeder said the sussex was the oldest and im sure that prior to this past two weeks she was laying all the double yolkers. do you think there is anything seriously wrong with her or will it settle down? all 3 are still looking very healthy and eating/ drinking well.

Marmalade

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 18:41 »

I have also three young chicken around 20 weeks who have just started laying this week, and I think the White sussex had laid 2 eggs, both with soft shells, one had a double yolk. Of the the other two we have one cigar shaped small egg with hard shell and 2 brown eggs shells ok and reasonable size.

Will be really interested to see if anyone can advise about the soft shells.

Sooz

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 22:47 »
Hi Clare
You say you are new to chicken keeping, but do not say how old your chickens are.  If you are getting ridged or shell-less eggs, this can be a sympton of a chicken either coming to the end of her laying period or a chicken who has a calcium deficiency.  The latter is not easy to cure.  You can try a few drops of cod liver oil in with the feed, or a small amount of limestone flour.  It could help.

Marmalade - if your girls are young, they should settle down,  Everyone gets the occasional soft sheller.

I'm not young enough to know everything!

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 00:00 »
the breeder said the sussex was about 20 weeks when i had her so she is under 30 now, the other two were 16wks. hopefully it will settle down soon, maybe i am too anxious

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 34 queries.