Ducks and children

• 1 Replies

SocksOn

Ducks and children
« on: April 24, 2012, 21:31 »
We currently have chickens and are thinking of expanding to some ducks - which are the best breeds to keep with children around. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old - although young they are very good with the chicks!

Will the ducks tolerate being picked up and cuddled?

We were also going to build a 2x7m pen and with the idea that the ducks will let out to roam the garden, as its not fully predator proof it'll be 'supervised' so to speak (we have a 20m patch) will this be suitable?

Thanks for your replies in advance
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 21:57 by SocksOn »

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Ducks and children
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 23:05 »
Ducks aren't huge fans of being cuddled although I have hand raised ones who tolerate it! My favourite boy Patrick will let me pick him up and he doesn't flap or struggle but when I put him down he make a big fuss about flapping and preening as if to get rid of the horrid human smell on him. It's quite funny in a sort of teenager Kevin way as if he is saying "Muuummm, gerof me! you're embarrassing me in front of my girls!"

The other hand raised ducks will happily eat from hands but do not like being cuddled and the ones I have got as adults rarely do that.

The bigger breeds are often more placid but they can be a bit intimidating for small children. My friend's 2 year old loves watching the ducks but is quite nervous of Patrick as he is friendly and will come up to say hello but as a bigger breed when he stands up full they are pretty much eye to eye.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
children and chicken poo

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 17:02
by chookiepaula
xx
Children and chickens

Started by Jane Vennik on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 00:21
by Tensing
xx
Help! Poorly children

Started by adw on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 11:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.