Broodiness

• 12 Replies

Budboy

Broodiness
« on: April 10, 2012, 22:34 »
Along side my other post about a possible dislocated wing, my other Pekin Bantam ( I only have the two now ) is very broody; she stays in the coop and has gone off her food completely.  I remove the egg immediately and lift her to the run (I'm not sure the egg is hers), she immediately starts eating and drinking but only remains outside for about half an hour and then returns to the coop; this has been happening for about a week now.  Is this usual behaviour and how long is it likely to continue?

I have to say that I am a very new keeper, initially acquiring my 3 Penkin Bantams last July, I don't have any other hens.  The first, unfortunately, was euthanased due to a prolapse with her very first egg, now I have another with a possible dislocated wing and another being what I think is broody, quite upsetting really as they are all very spoiled girls and very pampered but I suppose that's nature. :ohmy:

grinling

Re: Broodiness
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 23:11 »
She will continue for some weeks. Can you close the pophole during the day, which would force her out into the cooler air?

Budboy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 18:37 »
Thanks, tried it this morning and she stayed outside but was 'sitting' for a long while on the wood shavings, probably better than her being inside.  Opened the pop hole early afternoon and she went straight back inside.  Will do the same tomorrow, at least she's getting fresh air - hormones eh !!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 19:02 »
Have a read of this excellent article on broodiness and how to break it. :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71657.0
Cheese makes everything better.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 21:32 »
Excellent article, where was it on site?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 21:46 »
Excellent article, where was it on site?
Poultry FAQs :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 21:57 »
Check if she has plucked her breast feathers out yet.  If she has I think you will have a really difficult time to break her broodiness.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 23:13 »
One of my girls is broody at the moment.  I just pick her up and put her outside so at least she gets some food and water.  It'll last a few weeks and then she'll get over it.  Have found a nest in the garden were the others have been laying today!!  There were 8 eggs in it!!  I think the broody hen is so grumpy she wont let the others in to lay their eggs!!   ::)

Budboy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 18:40 »
No plucking of breast feathers so that's good news then.  When outside she's fine, back to normal, as soon as the pop hole is open, she's straight back in - roll on another two weeks.  Thanks all.  Article very good by the way.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 19:29 »
if you have the frozen blocks to keep freezer bags cool...wrap one in a towel and place it under her....as she cools down she'll come off the nest on her own and probably quicker than waiting 2 weeks. i did this with my orpington and brahma girls last year and it worked really well.

please make sure you wrap it up well as you don't want to freeze your girl.

hoe that helps.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Budboy

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 21:18 »
Thank you Shetan, did you only need to do it the once?

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 13:05 »
hi sorry for the late reply....no i did it over three days. i used 2 blocks and replaced twice a day....by the 3rd day they both just wandered off to forage.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 13:32 »
Great tip shetan, I will store that one away in my memory bank for future reference.   :)

xx
Broodiness

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 17:56
by viettaclark
xx
Broodiness

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 20:03
by muntjac
xx
Broodiness

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 11:18
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Non-stop broodiness

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 12:37
by Anndee

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 36 queries.