New Coop Advice Please...

• 2 Replies

PackFlock

New Coop Advice Please...
« on: April 10, 2012, 14:30 »
Hi,

My family have finally decided to buy some chickens and I would like to what you think about this coop...

http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/devon-double-run.htm

We are getting two Orpingtons and I want to make sure that there is enough room, they will be allowed out when we are home but I don't want too small an area for them whilst we are at work etc. Any advice would be great, I also thought this was good coop as have had good feedback about the company and it doesn't have any felt so won't be such a risk for red mite (I think). We looked at eglu but we thought they were too expensive for size etc.

Thanks,

PackFlock.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
Re: New Coop Advice Please...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 16:04 »
Personally I think that looks okay for a couple of hens - minimum recommended is 1 square meter of run space for each chook and 1 square foot per bird in a coop. Orpington's aren't the smallest so I'd allow a couple of feet per bird at least, but at over 9 feet in the coop itself it's more than enough! Run space is approaching minimum at 2.1 square meters, but if they get a run when you're home then maybe it's enough? I haven't any Orpingtons so it might be better waiting for someone who has them to recommend that bit properly - I *think* they're quite big girls? Personally I'd allow at least a couple of meters per chook, but that's just me :) A coop standing off the ground might be better as they can shelter underneath it when it's raining and it gives them more ground space. Definitely no felt though - good thinking there :) I have to say, after a couple of red mite attacks I am a plastic coop convert - so far - touch wood (hohoho), we've been trouble free since going plastic.

kegs

Re: New Coop Advice Please...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 18:32 »
The coop looks good.  I would advise getting three birds just in case (we lost one of our hybrids to a prolapse in the first week).

xx
coop advice please

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 23:23
by threeranger
xx
Advice about new coop please

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:19
by dizzylizzie
xx
Insulating the coop advice

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 20:09
by evie2
xx
Opinions/advice on new coop, please

Started by Chickenstreet on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 19:54
by Chickenstreet

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.