Closed eye and runny poos!!!

• 3 Replies

Andrew4613

Closed eye and runny poos!!!
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:31 »
I've had my chickens one week and a day now and I love them to bits! Spent lots of time watching them foraging for food and generally being chickens! They have started establishing a pecking order, charging at each other, but last night I noticed Mabel (bovans nera) had one eye permanently closed. I couldn't see any damage round the eye as though she'd been attacked by one of the others. Does anyone have any ideas???

Also most poos in the coop look 'normal' but I've noticed some pops are runny and a sandy brown colour - is this ok?

Many thanks

Andy

kegs

Re: Closed eye and runny poos!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 14:35 »
I can't help with the eye problem so I hope it gets better soon.  However this thread should help you with the poo.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 16:23 »
If there's no watery discharge with "bubbles" in the eye and it is just closed, it may be she's had a bit of a bump or been stung by something. I know that when I have any new pullets they are a bit mystified with the outdoors, some never having seen grass. Mine went through a series of eye problems until I realised they had stung their eye on nettles. Never having seen them before, they ran straight into them during the pecking order battles. I've since cut down the nettles and had no more problems.
Just have a little look around their environment and you may see something that could be causing the problem.

As for the poos - chickens produce a huge variety in poo colour and consistency (you'll become obsessed with it!). The one you mention sounds like a perfectly normal caecal poo - have a look at the link kegs has sent you and all the gory photos are in there!

Andrew4613

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52 »
Thanks her eye has cleared up fine....although another bird has a poorly eye now!!!

xx
runny poos for over a week

Started by gcb on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:04
by Craig69
xx
watery poos

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 18:22
by maninvan
xx
chicken poos

Started by smarty456 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 12:00
by smarty456
xx
Are these poos normal for chicks? Help!!

Started by Fredschook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 21:39
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.