Scaly leg

• 3 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Scaly leg
« on: September 24, 2011, 07:33 »
Hi one of my hens has raised scales on the front of her legs, so I have applied a cream for this which looks like vaseline but smells like deep heat :tongue2:  my question is how do you know you have killed the mites off, I read the scales fall off with the next moult, so they will be still raised when they mites are dead, how long should I carry on the treatment?

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: Scaly leg
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 13:07 »
We used vaseline every other night for 2 weeks or so - on all the chickens so there were no clean legs to escape to.

We slathered it on at night after they'd gone to bed so we could keep track of who'd been done and so they wouldn't instantly start covering it in mud.

Not only did we kill of the mites, the scales were softened enough to fall off so the legs went back to being smooth, not rough with dticking out scales.

And we had lovely soft hands......
ManicMum

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 16:32 »
Thanks for the reply, I will carry on the treatment, I didn't realise I should do all of them so will start that tonight, vaseline seems a good idea it doesn't smell as bad as this stuff I've got! :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 17:41 »
My brother in law told me he got given a cockerel which had the worse case of scaly leg he had ever seen.  Its legs were like tree stumps!  When he put it in with his hens, they began to peck at his legs and had all of the dead scales pecked off in about a week!!  :wacko:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Scaly leg?

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:57
by woodburner
xx
scaly leg

Started by kanu on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:34
by TeaPots
xx
scaly leg

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 20:58
by sussexchook
xx
Scaly Leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:29
by Vember

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 32 queries.