Still getting small eggs

• 12 Replies

Nefertari

Still getting small eggs
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:14 »
Morning all,

I have 3 hybrids (sussex star, bluebelle and a copper black maran)  all have similar sized very small eggs.  they are probably the size of the small eggs you can get in the supermarkets.

I got them as POL in June and they have been laying daily now since the end of June.  I have read in varous places that the eggs will get bigger, but they haven't.

they have a good diet, they can't stand pellets so have layers mash (same as the ex batts)

Any ideas please?

Casey76

Re: Still getting small eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:43 »
The eggs will get bigger when they are hens.  They are still pullets, and they have only been laying for 2 months.  It is a process which takes months.

In the olden days they were called "pullet eggs" (for obvious reasons) and getting 45-53g eggs is still good.  it is not until thier second season that their eggs will rach their full size.

SMS6

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54 »
One of my three chickens is also a hybrid of about the same age.  I got her beginning of June at POL and she also lays smaller eggs than my other two full grown hens. 

I have noticed that recently they have got slightly bigger, they used to fall through the hole in the egg holder and weigh about 42/43g - the last few we've had sit in the hole and are more like 51/52g

she does lay almost daily though bless her.

I've just been looking at the Maran website which has me wondering about my 'Maran' - she's moulting at present so not laying but when she does her eggs are nothing like as dark brown as the Maran Eggs I've seen on the web.   I'm wondering if maybe she's not pure Maran

Nefertari

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:26 »
thanks for your replies, that's put my mind at rest.  I wondered if I was doing something wrong.  They are all healthy birds.  And yes, the Maran lays lovely dark brown shelled eggs.

SMS6

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 14:13 »
thanks for your replies, that's put my mind at rest.  I wondered if I was doing something wrong.  They are all healthy birds.  And yes, the Maran lays lovely dark brown shelled eggs.

Mine doesn't - they're lovely eggs but just normal brown colour  :(

Nefertari

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 15:00 »

from left to right,

the bluebelle's egg, the sussex and the Copper Black maran

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 16:04 »
Marans should lay very dark eggs, almost burgundy-brown in colour, but it's often difficult to find a good example of the breed. In-breeding for show standards and cross breeding to achieve the desired feather colouring often results in paler eggs. French Copper Black Marans are usually reliable for egg colour, Cuckoo less so unless you get access to a nearly pure strain.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 16:09 »
My cuckoo Marans (clean legged) lays a lovely dark coloured egg when she's not broody. Sadly she goes broody at the drop of an egg or two  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:59 »
Nefertari, your Marans egg looks exactly like my Barnevelder eggs.  I think they're a beautiful colour, personally!

Perhaps if you posted a photo of your girl on here, people would be able to see whenter she is a pure Marans or not. :)

SMS6

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 22:22 »
So here's my girl - does she look Maran?

Her eggs are brown but not nearly as brown as those shown.  Mind you she's noulting at present so we aren't getting any.
bunty.jpg

SMS6

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 22:24 »
Here's another view - she's not looking her best because of the moult
bunty2.jpg

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 23:06 »
It dont look like any of our hens ask Sue of dark brown eggs  she would know all about the cuckoo Marans she is a breeder i have a few of hers but mine are not laying yet.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

chickee

• Just guarding . . .
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:40 »
I bought two POL (one Susssex Star (?) certainly a Sussex of some sort and 1 feathered leg maran) about a month ago, to keep my last old ex-bat company.  The maran has started laying lovely tiny dark brown eggs which are getting a bit larger as the days go on.  Some of them have a slight plum/blue hue to them and some are double yolkers which the kids think is hilarious as the yolks are tiny. 

However, the Sussex hadn't started laying until the other day when we started finding absolutely huge, very pale eggs!  She is a real character and growing into a beautiful hen.

Incidentally, I have stopped giving any bread at all to the girls and the old ex-bat has improved no end looking as fit and lively as the "teenagers".  Who knows, maybe she will start laying again!
Chickee

xx
why are these eggs so small ? NOT wind eggs

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 13:42
by Henlady
xx
really small eggs

Started by adi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 14:21
by tosca100
xx
small eggs

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 12:18
by bantam novice
xx
small eggs

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.