Can they be naughty before first lay

• 4 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Can they be naughty before first lay
« on: July 22, 2011, 21:14 »
Esmerelda is showing physical signs of soon to lay but along with it she is being naughty. I am having trouble the last couple of days getting her in. This has never been a problem before as they only need to see their yellow plate ( treat bowl ) and they all come running and I also have a meal worm pot which also drives them crazy until they get some. Today she was having none of it, along with an easily led younger Orpington they led me a merry dance this morning ending with me leaving them in the garden due to an unmissable appointment. I was so cross, more out of fear at leaving them, especially when they ignored me when I said the fox would get them.(I know I am chicken mad, but I hoped they would realise).
Luckily they were fine though they stayed in the naughty run for a few hours after. I deliberately kept walking near them so they knew they were being punished and they weren't getting out until I was ready.The last couple of nights she has taken to sitting on top of the coop before going to bed. It's about 6 feet high and she has never done this before.
I am hoping this is her being confused before laying rather than the start of bad behaviour, any comments please

bantam novice

Re: Can they be naughty before first lay
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32 »
Hello Gracie, sometimes if hens are refusing to go into the coop there may be redmite.  When my hens started to do this last year that is what I found.  You need to take a piece of white paper and slide it in the cracks and corners of your coop, not forgetting the ends of the perches.  If it comes out stained slightly red then you have redmite.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 14:47 »
Thanks for that, just been and checked. No sign of anything, our coop is very smooth, hubby lined it all so there wasnt anywhere for them to hide. Im not going out today so they are free ranging all day and they arent really any problems getting to bed. Will see what they are like tomorrow when i go out at midday to see if they go in nicely or not.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 18:55 »
Good luck Gracie.  :)

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 22:06 »
I don't know about naughty, but mine definitely tried flying over the fence less as they got older/came into lay. They just seem generally less interested in leaving home now.
I don't get mine in at night though as such, just wait for them to trundle in of their own accord - about 9.45 currently - then go out and close the door and lock the run. I don't lock the coop door because I trained them last summer to push it open themselves so that they can at least go out into their run if I have a lie-in in the morning!
If you need to herd them into the run in the day try holding a longish stick in one hand and extending you other arm. Obviously don't hit them ( :ohmy:) but just 'herd' them. I find this works well with mine - they don't seem to realize they can go in another direction with my 'longer' arm. :)

xx
OH has been naughty

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 18:15
by NormandyMary
xx
Naughty Blondie

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 18:21
by jinty1911
xx
Naughty cockerel

Started by kitkat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 22:22
by Chookster
xx
Naughty Aggie

Started by maxoli on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 17:39
by maxoli

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.