Children and chickens

• 11 Replies

Jane Vennik

Children and chickens
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:26 »
With some trepidation we started with a few chickens in the garden back in June!  We are really enjoying them (and the eggs of course!).  Ove the summer holidays the children have  become really comfortable with them and each time they are in the garden they are giving them a cuddle!  (my 8 year old is better at catching than me!)  

So I guess the main question is regarding health risks to the children with this close association.  I do get them to wash their hands after ... but should I be doing anything else?

Jane

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Children and chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 10:10 »
We have had birds for over a year and my 4 are always out there with them cuddling them or egg collecting and the clean them out and change the water in the pond.

I would say my kids have had less minor bugs etc since we got the birds, maybe because they are building their immune systems.

My kids always wear overals and wellies when out with the birds and these are cleaned and disinfected weekly.

Asl long as you are handwashing etc, then you should be fine.
Caroline

muntjac

Children and chickens
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51 »
my grand daughter wears nothing protective and only washes her hands when she has done messing with them or my other animals other than boots when its raining . dogs cats ferrets chucks ducks ,turkey gooses. you get more things cause you harm at her school i have found her asleep in a chicken shed afore and have never even bothered to worry about it ..... this worlds falling apart because its to clean in my opinion more kids getting wacky things going wrong with them cos they not allowed to get dirty etc . :wink: so id say fear not ........  :lol:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Children and chickens
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:02 »
I wholeheartedly agree with Munty, we are too clean these days!

Thinking back to when I was a child, the messes I used to get into, and only ever got colds in the winter.  Even my own daughters, hardly anythig wrong with them.

Look at the grandchildren....... excema (having a blond moment, forgotten spelling!), asthma, allergies and goodness knows what else.

As long as you teach them basic personal hygiene, and you wash their clothes as normal, its not as if they are wearing the same things day after day, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.  But just appreicate the joy you are giving them in having such close contact with their animals, unlike a lot of children who have never seen a live chicken, let alone cuddled one!

The little girl next door was enthralled when I asked if she'd like to come and see the chicks the other day!

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Children and chickens
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:27 »
Mine only wear overalls and wellies to protect them from mess and dirt, as they have ahabit of going out in the school uniform before school, and my kids are the type that could find dirt in a sterile room, they are muck magnets.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Children and chickens
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21 »
Basic common sense hygiene is all that is needed, for chooks and children - Don't forget that your hens can catch things from humans especially colds  :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Children and chickens
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53 »
Quote from: "Tensing"
Mine only wear overalls and wellies to protect them from mess and dirt, as they have ahabit of going out in the school uniform before school, and my kids are the type that could find dirt in a sterile room, they are muck magnets.

I have one like that ! in fact He's always been like it, He's 16 now just started Hort college and comes home covered in horse muck and tractor oil  :roll:  but happy.

And yes I agree with what everyone says basic common sense, wash your hands etc .
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Fat Hen

Children and chickens
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
.. this worlds falling apart because its to clean in my opinion more kids getting wacky things going wrong with them cos they not allowed to get dirty etc . :wink: so id say fear not ........  :lol:

Never a truer word said.  :wink:

Tensing - as regards your children being muck magnets, aren't they all? :tongue2:

My kids are always playing with chickens, first thing my eldest (6) does when she comes home from school is go out (thats if chickens aren't already in house) grab a chook and go and sit and watch tv with it on her knee (bemused looking expression on chooks face).

Bodger

Children and chickens
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 16:44 »
Chickens are a much better bet for kids than computers.
They aren't going to give them bad backs because of poor sitting posture, poor eye sight and general health problems through lack of exercise . :D

Bring on the chickens and make them compulsory for kids. :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Children and chickens
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 17:32 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Chickens are a much better bet for kids than computers.
They aren't going to give them bad backs because of poor sitting posture, poor eye sight and general health problems through lack of exercise . :D

Bring on the chickens and make them compulsory for kids. :lol:

I couldn't agree more Bodger  :!:  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Children and chickens
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 21:08 »
My cousin's daughter brought her little 4 year old up to see us for the first time a few weeks back.  He is autistic, and Brian was showing him the chickens, and let him pull up some grass and give them.

She phoned me the other night and said "We took Toby to a nursery and little farm thing today, and they had chickens.  Toby walked over and said they are chickens and I know how to feed them!"  With that, he promptly sat on the grass and started pulling it up and giving it to the chooks!!!!

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Children and chickens
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 00:21 »
Thats lovely, my son is autistic and its strange how some things affect him, sadly he does go for cute with animals, he prefers to kmnow how they work (inside).

xx
Children around chickens?

Started by xhappychickx on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 16:01
by otis pony
xx
children, chickens and this forum

Started by westie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 21:07
by Porffor
xx
4 happy chickens and 3 helpful children

Started by westie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 16:01
by Jellyhead
xx
Ducks and children

Started by SocksOn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 23:05
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.