She or he?

• 3 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
She or he?
« on: April 24, 2011, 17:48 »
The plot thickens with my chocolate wyandotte bantie chick.  12 weeks old now and red comb but not overly whattly.  If it is a boy the breeder has already said she will have him back (unless anyone on here wants a swap???)

I've been looking back at old piccies of my Serama boys and they were much more developed at this age, so confused is not the word  :wacko: What do you chicken experts think?

Will be a shame if its a boy as the 2 chicks have really bonded  :(  This is them on their first garden outing this weekend.   The other one is a blue orpington bantie.

Bailz

• Experienced Member
Re: She or he?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 18:03 »
no pro but looks cockrel to me.
Cheers Bailz

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 22:53 »
Cockerel.  Bantam dottes don't develop very large wattles.  My two boys last year didn't fully mature until about 28 weeks, and neither of them had big combs or wattles.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:56 »
Thanks - I had a funny feeling that was going to be the answer.  Emailed the piccies to the breeder and she still thinks may be a girl but I'm not so sure  ::)

Next question - these 2 are currently in a little run on their own, but the plan was to mix them into the big run when they got older.  Is it best to keep the dottie as company for the orp for now, or try and get another 12 week old pullet to mix with the orp so they can go in together  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 37 queries.