Sad looking chicken with watery eye

• 8 Replies

lou-b-lou

Sad looking chicken with watery eye
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:33 »
Hi,

Does anyone know what's wrong with my chicken?  I bought 2 chickens a couple of weeks ago and they have both been very active and healthy looking until yesterday. 

My Bluebell - who is usually the boss and very greedy - started looking a bit depressed and just sat around for most of the afternoon/evening.  I thought maybe she was just hot as it was a very warm day, but I also noticed that she has a very watery left eye- I have attached a picture .  She put herself to bed very early (6.45 instead of the usual 7.30-7.45) She is still very lethargic today and her eye still looks watery... I am very worried about her.

Please help!
020Crop.jpg

lou-b-lou

Re: Sad looking chicken with watery eye
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35 »
Also she did a very strange looking poo she did this morning which i am sure is not right - it looks very different to her normal poo.
014Crop.jpg

Beakybird

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 23:12 »
Sorry to hear about Bluebell. Do you think she may have hurt her eye? Or got something in it? Is she eating ok? If she's lethargic it sounds asthough she isn't feeling very well. Do you have an avian vet near by? Chickens can deteriorate very quickly.

The pic of the poop looks ok to me. There are lots of different poops depending on lots of different processes, etc. I've certainly seen similar from my girls.

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 00:19 »
sounds like she needs a course of baytril or tylan from the vet. Bubbly eye, she could have resp/eye infection.

The poo looks a bit stringy. Has she been wormed recently? If not - worm her - flubenvet or fenbendazole/panacur 10%. The strings could be worms? Worms will make them feel run down. Watery poos quite normal - she has probably been drinking alot due to sudden hot weather.

lou-b-lou

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06 »
Thanks for that - we went to the vet with Bluebell on Friday and got her a course of Baytril.  She had a respiratory infection and her sinus was blocked on her left side, which was also the reason for her watery eye  :(- it has been great fun trying to feed her with a syringe over the past few days... :ohmy:

Poo was nothing to worry about - just a one-off.

She is much much better now, bless her :D ...and she laid her first egg on Monday!!  What a good chicken!!  How long should we leave it till we can eat her eggs - vet thought it was 7-10 days after finishing the course of antibiotics but she wasn't entirely sure...

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 21:37 »
glad she's perked up a bit by laying an egg. Baytril is off label for poultry, even though vets will prescribe it for them & its very effective. The recommendation is 7 days after last dose as baytril can cause seizures in some humans prone to them (apparently).

lou-b-lou

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 16:44 »
Thanks Wildwitchy - I shall look forward to trying Bluebell's eggs in 7 days time - she has has been super and has now laid 4 eggs since monday! :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 20:34 »
Good news, Lou-b-lou  :)
I hope she continues to improve and lay her eggs.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:36 »
Good news!  :D
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

xx
Green Watery Chicken Poo

Started by Geraldine on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 13:31
by Snoop
xx
watery yellow chicken poop.

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 09:11
by New shoot
xx
Watery poo

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 20:56
by Raven81
xx
watery poo

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 16:46
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.