Question about disease in the ground.

• 5 Replies

orchardlady

Question about disease in the ground.
« on: October 19, 2010, 20:01 »
Chatting to an old friend (ho does not keep hens) today he was telling me about his neighbour that had kept hens and that they got a disease that killed them and lived in the ground of his poultry run. Does anyone know what this might be? The reason I ask is that this same neighbour is possibly looking for a new home for 3 of his ducks and I'm wondering if this problem could be transferred via the ducks to my hens and ducks.

Sorry to be so vague but any information or opinions would be of value. Of course I will ask more detailed questions if the ducks are eventually offered to me.

Biguba

Re: Question about disease in the ground.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 20:32 »
The life cycle of parasitic worms can involve dormant egg cysts. Lots of small organisms can en-cyst during their life cycle until a host comes along. Perhaps this is what was meant? Keep us posted  :)

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 23:14 »
Organic material like wood chips etc if not dug out, can get anaerobic bacteria Clostridium botulinum (aka limberneck). Death is rapid.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:47 »
As above, if they live in the run most of the time the ground will become stagnent with their poo poo's, good husbandry will keep the ground fresh.
As my lot live on the plot they spend a lot of time in their run, all be it far bigger than the reccomended space per chook. I clean the coop once a week and the run once a fortnight, during the run clean up I will sprinkle stalosan F over the ground and turn over the ground and then a fresh layer of floor covering.

we also poo pick at night.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 20:18 »
Thanks for the replies. Do you know how botulism is spread...so for example if these ducks came to live with me in my lovely grassy paddock where they would have clean water and Savoy standard living accommodation would the botulism live in the ground from their poo to be spread among my flock or would it stay behind in the original run? Of course all still hypothetical as I've not been offered these ducks yet.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 22:50 »
As it's anaerobic it will die in contact with air.

xx
Mareks disease

Started by minniebantam on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 13:03
by hillfooter
xx
Mareks disease or not?

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 22:22
by barley
xx
Marek's Disease

Started by fluffy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 10:05
by T C
xx
Help!!! Could it be Mareks disease?

Started by flocko on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 17:31
by cheekymouse

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 34 queries.