So talk to me about duck eggs.

• 2 Replies

orchardlady

So talk to me about duck eggs.
« on: September 25, 2010, 15:26 »
I now have 6 ducks. 3 Aylesbury drakes and 3 Kaki Campbell ducks. Hopefully two of the drakes will be re homed shortly. Now to my questions. My KCs lay me 2 or 3 beautiful creamy white shelled eggs each day but however clean I keep their house the eggs are always filthy. They lay them over night in their house and I feel sure they are rolled around for half the night. At present what I do is bring them into the house, allow them to get to room temperature and clean them with a tightly wrung out dish cloth. They come up beautifully. I do seem to remember somewhere in the dim and distant past that duck eggs are more porous than hens eggs and that I could be 'pushing' the dirt into the egg. At the moment I'm not seeing this as a problem as the eggs get used very swiftly but what do you do/think?

Also I would value any information about cooking with duck eggs. I understand they make wonderful cakes and I've eaten them dry fried on toast..Yum!

Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing from you.

lisa123

• Experienced Member
Re: So talk to me about duck eggs.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 16:12 »
hi there i have  3 ducks and they are exactly the same, no matter how clean it is they get them dirty. i always clean my eggs then dry them and i have been fine upto now. if i cook them as boiled or fried i do cook them a little longer, but they are loverly in cakes. yum yum
hope this helps???? :tongue2:
Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener

r2d2

Re: So talk to me about duck eggs.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 17:03 »
I use the yolks of my duck eggs to make a lovely rich mayonnaise, I have also done bernaise sauce in the past, when following recipes I always bear in mind that the duck eggs are alot larger than chicken eggs which the recipes are written for

I just wipe/pick the worst of the muck off without washing them as such, never had any problems with them going bad or tasting odd

xx
lets talk eggs

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 10:37
by Mrs.Tweedy
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
DUCK EGGS!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:41
by WR1
xx
Duck Eggs

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:35
by noshed

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.