Poor old picked on Nellie :(

• 7 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Poor old picked on Nellie :(
« on: September 23, 2010, 17:49 »
My fave chicken lady, Nellie, is being picked on mercilessly by the other two. They've pecked the feathers out of her back, making her bleed and she's too scared to go anywhere near them. She's sleeping on her own, away from them at the bottom of the run. I've put seperate food around the run so she can eat away from them, which she is doing, but does anyone have any other tips on how to stop this naughty behaviour before she ends up seriously injured or worse. Poor thing :( x
Also, the other 2's faces, comb and wattles are turning a lovely red, but she'd still very pale faced. Do you get pale chickens or is it a definate sign of something being wrong. Health wise she's fine, eats like a horse and scratches around all day and she's the only one that perches by choice. I'm still learning folks, so please excuse my random question tangents  ::)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

bantam novice

Re: Poor old picked on Nellie :(
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 18:44 »
Hello Carla,
poor Nellie  :(,  She does seem to be having a bad time.  If she is bleeding you will need to use purple spray (gentian violet) so that it disguises the colour.  You can get it from a horsy feed type shop.  It also acts as an antiseptic.  I have heard of anti-peck sprays but others on here will have more experience of those. Good luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 18:44 »
arh poor nellie bless her, i guess its something thats gonna settle down eventually.   You can buy those saddle cloth things that you can put on hens that are getting over treaded by cockerals, maybe that may help, will certainly hide the redness as it were, or you can try purple spray to disguse it.   If there is one particular girl that is doing the bullying you could try removing her from them out of site for a couple of days, theory being that when introduced she would be at the bottom of the flock, im not sure if it actually works though having not tried it.    Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 19:44 »
also you could try putting beak clips on the bullies, they can still eat and drink but not grip feathers  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:50 »
does she have somewhere where she can get away from the bullies?  We had 4 and 1 was bullied from the start - in the end we made her her own wee house that she slept in on her own some night quite happily - not all the time, just when she fancied it.  She then used to just pop in  there to lay occasionally and I think just get some time away from the others. She doesnt use it al all now, but we have it as a spare just in case we have the same problems with others.
Make sure there are at least 2 feeders possibly 3 and a couple of water drinkers too.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 13:37 »
And plenty of places to go and hide. Buckets put on its side is great for them to get into away from the bullies.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 15:26 »
I agree give her plenty places to hide and be prepared to intervene if needs be, I'd also consider beak rings.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:39 »
Well, it seems Nellie has had a reprieve, as SHell came out of the Coop this morning, her head completely bald!!! The top of her head has no feathers at all, not one. She looks like a monk. I'm presuming she's been in the nest box with Flo all night (they REFUSE to perch), and flo's quietly been plucking away!! No injuries, doesnt look sore, but there's not a feather there!  I did laugh when she came wandering out, even though it's not REALLY funny, it just took me by suprise :)
So, what now? I'm doing some serious coop and run work today, making it super secure and building things to entertain them and give them hiding places if needed.
Flo is a naughty, naughty chicken lady.

xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
being picked on

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 19:14
by karlooben
xx
Picked up my ex-bats!

Started by HLT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 22:57
by Chookaholic
xx
Picked up hen today - she has a big lump!!!!!

Started by Caramelle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 20:42
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.