killer cockerel

• 9 Replies

men at work

killer cockerel
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:43 »
Some fellow chicken keepers of mine have a Polish Cockerel who is a real son of a gun. He chases the children if the come near 'his' girls and has attacked  them too, leaving one boy with cuts to his face. The 79 year old who tends to the flock has to defend themself with a broom when collecting eggs and pegging out the washing. Any hen that lingers too long in the henhouse is chased out by him in a mad flurry and all the girls have bear backs and chests and eroded head feathers.  Most alarmingly he has pounced on 3 sickly chickens (ex bats) and has mullerred them to death. Is any of this normal. He is a beauty who will no doubt protect his ladies at all costs but is it really acceptable? -  Would any one like him?

tesni

• Experienced Member
Re: killer cockerel
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49 »
 Would any one like him?

as I like my girls alive, think I'll pass thanks!  :D

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:52 »
Sounds like the perfect answer to the people with cat problems!  :tongue2:
Only joking :nowink:
Send in the dog whisperer I think!  ;)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Junie

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 13:17 »
Oh gosh - that is bad - he may be a good protector, but not if he kills them before a fox can!

We had a Co-Nu hand raised from egg rooster, who after losing some girls to a fox became over protective and would not let me near him or them, He also went for my son of 10 who was terrified.  he went into the pot and since then the whole chicken house has become a far ore relaxed place - the girls seem happier.  The girls no longer completley free range but have a good area behind elecric fence and a Jack Russel for protection!

I hated doing it , but it was the only thing to do - I can enjoy my girls again now

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 14:44 »
I agree that there is only one place for this cockerel, in a huge pot, with onions garlic and a whole bottle of red wine. No one should be scared of their animals. though I must admit, I was wary of Monty until he was injured and I had to handle him every day. Now he's as soft as butter, but he will come to the defence of the girls if they are upset.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 21:51 »
Oo. Theres protecting the girls, and then their is PROTECTING the girls

...I have to agree, The only place for a cockerel like that is the pot OO
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

twigwot

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 23:19 »
 :blink: Good heavens I would think the only place for this big boy is the pot. He does seem to be a bit over the top!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 23:20 »
We've got rid of 2 boys that have been nasty to their ladies.  I hate to see the girls with bare backs and other bar bits!

But Bertie the RIR is a real gent.  Not one bare back in his little harem!

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54 »
I had to cull a cockerel like yours. It was the only option. It is a shame when you have to tell kids they cannot go in the run. I also found that whilst I was always watching in a bid to fend off the cockerel I was not looking after the girls properly and may not have noticed if there had been anything wrong. My cockerel was a beautiful specimen and it was a shame but I don't regret it! :blink: :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 19:28 »
Years ago I had a really nasty cockerel. He stressed so much about me or anyone being near his girls that one day he simply keeled over right in front of me!!!! I assume form a heart attack. He was like that chap on the football/ rugby sideline that get's so angry and red faced that he looks like he might explode. I suppose he did me a favour in the end. :lol:

xx
Cat meets Killer Cockerel...

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 07:50
by Jellyhead
xx
red top fly killer

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 20:12
by Foxy
xx
Killer Cat

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 03:46
by naturesparadise
xx
Name that Killer!!!

Started by massa on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 10:28
by Ian Findlay

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 38 queries.