?record egg weight /chicken diarrhoea

• 11 Replies

caroline17

?record egg weight /chicken diarrhoea
« on: June 29, 2010, 14:37 »
Hi everyone,I have two Isa Warrens about 2 years old now.
The last week of hot weather has not stopped Morag the smaller hen from laying daily like a machine!
However, the larger hen Enid who lays eggs 84 to 89g(!) :ohmy: has had a lot of soft shell eggs, often passing them after a fright or spontaneously having jumped off her perch.Enid last passed a formed egg two days ago.What would have been today's egg passed late yesterday night.We had to remove the residual shell from her bottom.Today she appears tired, slightly withdrawn-has been eating pellets,oatmeal mash and sipping water. She has had three watery stools prior to oatmeal mash which she wolfed down.Tail is still down although she has just been outside coop to preen neck feathers.Not sure if now is the right time to take her to the vet or watch and wait and try live yoghurt.Both hens were wormed earlier in the year and the other one is charging around.Will quarantine her.Local vets hadn't seen chicken in 20 years last time I took Enid so I don't have much confidence in them :nowink:. This blog is often more useful.Any advice appreciated.

Casey76

Re: ?record egg weight /chicken diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 15:34 »
Don't give her yogurt... it will upset her stomach.

During hot weather chickens drink a lot to keep cool... this is passed through the digestive system and expelled as watery stools (just as if you were to drink a lot, your urine would be more volumous and much paler than "normal")

caroline17

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 16:26 »
Thanks. I fed Enid some watered down oatmeal and water at alternate intervals earlier today instead of yougurt. Enid perked up having dropped a squashed shell with a yolk in the nest box.I think passing such massive eggs is a real triumph but when the cycle is-pardon the pun-"broken"  :D then she suffers for it the next day. Her movements are still slower but she's out scratching and dustbathing again and was even tempted by some small lettuce leaves. Is it common for eggs to be 89g?I also read that during hotter weather they lose a lot of carbon dioxide in their breath and often this affects the carbonate available for shell manufacture which may fit with whats been happening to her egg shells.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 16:29 »
I would say that eggs areound 90g are not uncommon enough to be called unusual (if that makes sense!)

My two ISAs regular eggs are between 70-90g... I look at supermarket "large" eggs (63g) and think they look small!

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 16:32 »
My Cuckoo Maran usually lays large eggs but on three occasions I have had extra large ones - 2 at 94g and 1 at 96g - all 3 were double yolkers.  She is my most consistent layer too. :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:03 »
Extra large eggs aren't always a blessing.  In times of stress such as hot weather there's more chance of problems.  With large eggs and softshells the danger is that she may become egg bound so keep your eye on her.  They often look unhappy when they are laying soft eggs as it's more difficult for the muscular contractions which move the eggs down the oviduct to work.   They usually quickly perk up after passing them.

Unless there's a specific problem with egg binding I doubt there's much value in a vet visit so I'd just keep her under observation for the moment and see the vet if things start to deteriorate.

Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 21:23 »
I only have four hens and one laid a massive egg yesteraday weighing 115 grammes (ouch). Not sure which bird laid it but none are big birds and all are walking OK!!!! All eggs laid today were normal size so hopefully all are in good health. An occasional large egg has been laid durin the last 6 weeks os so. Is this normal for young birds of 30 - 40 weeks?

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 22:33 »
It can happen though I wouldn't say it's common.  Provided they look happpy enough then it's nothing to worry about.

HF

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34 »
It can happen in young birds whilst they are getting the hang of it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jakinpeter

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 22:30 »
115 g whats that in english/imperial with out getting my scales out

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 00:30 »
115 g whats that in english/imperial with out getting my scales out

big enough to need epidural!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 06:33 »
115g is about 4oz.  One of my hens has laid an egg which weighs 6oz  :ohmy:
All lives are precious.

xx
hybrid chicken with Diarrhoea

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 22:20
by redmolly
xx
wobbly chicken and diarrhoea

Started by smudger699 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 11:17
by CattinJ
xx
Current Chicken High Jump Record?

Started by longbow on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 12:27
by SMD66
xx
diarrhoea

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 20:13
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.