Gastro Intestinal shut down?

• 5 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Gastro Intestinal shut down?
« on: November 16, 2009, 21:19 »
I've read somewhere (and can't remember where :wacko:) that this can happen after crop problems? Does anyone know what symptoms it presents and what to do to restart everything up again, that's if it's possible to do so?

Jan.x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Gastro Intestinal shut down?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 21:25 »
I nearly lost a hen like that this time last year.  The vet gave her some medication to get her GI tract moving again together with the antibiotics.  It took quite a while to recover but she's fine now.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 21:31 »
Thanks Aunt Sally  :) At least now I know there's medication that can help if needed. Probably means another trip to the vet for Sweet Pea as she's not pooing very much and only eaten a little today  :(

Jan.x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 21:45 »
It is called Maxolon Syrup (metoclopramide).

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 21:57 »
That's fantastic and thank you again as I can now check that the vet has this in stock before taking her over. The vet we visited recently would have needed to order anti fungal meds for Pea if needed but gave her Baytril instead which luckily did work even though a completely different medication. If she'd needed an anti fungal it would have only taken a day to get it but still a delay we could do without. I will ring around a couple of our vets before putting her through another journey.

Jan.x

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 17:26 »
I PM'ed Aunt Sally this morning as I was worried that if I added my query to this thread it might just be missed. She very kindly advised how to help Pea and I have now added my initial PM and Aunt Sallys reply to this thread as the advice may help others in the same predicament.
Jan.x

Aunt Sally could you please advise? I hope that you don't mind me PMing you but I was worried that my post might be missed in with the general thread. If you'd like me to add this to the thread you only have to say.  :) I have an appointment at 10.10 and the vet does have Maxolon so I'm hoping to get that for Pea if her problem is a GI shutdown. My main concern will then be the best way of getting her better as in what foods to give that are easy to digest but will build her back up again? Any other advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Jan.x

Hi Jan

I don't mind at all but do add the information to the tread so that others can benifit from it.

It can be difficult to get them eating again and it really is a case of finding things that she will try.  When the Maxolon starts to get her gut moving again she will start to get hungry.  Some moistened porridge oats might be taken, some moistened layers mash or crushed up pellets might be another option.  Don't give any bread or pasta or rice though as it think that could ferment in her tum if it's not working quite normally.  A little mashed potatoe, scrambled egg.  Just think soft and easy to digest.  It's trial and error really but as I said she will get hungry when her gut gets going.

Lesley x

xx
Intestinal Lining

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 08:40
by 8doubles
question
Blood/intestinal lining in poo.

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 13:40
by kegs
wink
Shut eye

Started by hoptonboy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 13:51
by Casey76
xx
one eye shut-infection?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 14:50
by colliebird

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 34 queries.