Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51 »
While I wasnt in favour of a hunting ban on foxes, its always been an ineffective way of killing them, it was just a jolly for horses and dogs, they did kill a few,not many though, but now they can breed without  any hinderance,

I think attacks will get more as they get used to people even more

They shoot, poison, use anything in Australia to get rid of them, they hate them more than dingos

They (foxes) have lost their fear of people, they live on what we chuck out, so its about food, they get plenty, they breed more, no natraul predators to keep their numbers dowm vets treating them, they should just put em down, they are vermin, just bigger rats

That is nice to hear that at least someone is culling them, I hope it spreads to my way

It's all about the journey, not the destination

Mrs Bee

« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16 »
Hope it spreads my way too. There are so many  :blink: :blink:

There was a picture on the net showing an enormous dog fox that a vet  had put down which was pictured next to his son and was about half as big again as his son. With all the food available to them in the towns it would appear that they are getting bigger :ohmy:

An Aussie friend of mine told me about the way they deal with the dingos and foxes. They have a novel way with the giant toads too.

pepsi100

« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29 »
An Aussie friend of mine told me about the way they deal with the dingos and foxes. They have a novel way with the giant toads too.

Oh yes, cane toad golf or cricket, a great sport, and you are never too old or too young to play it ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00 »

Oh yes, cane toad golf or cricket, a great sport, and you are never too old or too young to play it ;)

Oh yes, those are the ones. ::)

Agatha

« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2013, 13:12 »
A big dog fox ran at me last year while I was walking Bonnie - I charged at him, yelling loudly and he ran when I was about 5 feet away.  I was really relieved as he could have done both of us a lot of damage.  We were in a really open area, so it wasn't that he felt trapped and had to attack to defend himself - he obviously just didn't like us being on 'his' land.  And one of my friends has had a chicken taken from her flock while she was standing there - the fox just charged in, grabbed one and ran away again before she could stop him!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Sparkyrog

« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2013, 21:15 »
The reason being they no longer have any reason to fear humans in urban areas !
I cook therefore I grow

jacquil58

« Reply #471 on: November 03, 2013, 09:44 »
We had a fox attack in June this year and it killed a chicken which I had hand reared from 1 day old.  We were so upset but fortunately it didn't get my others because my daughter heard the commotion and frightened the fox off.  I have always been against fox hunting and thought it cruel but after seeing what they can do first hand, I could have cheerfully finished the thing off if I could have caught it!

I live in northwest England and we've been advised not to let them free in the garden until at least 9:30 am.  I love living in the countryside but this year has shown it's downside.  I hope you have a fox free winter and wish you well.

Jacqui

Springlands

« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2014, 17:39 »
My OH heard the magpies screeching at about 3 this afternoon. He was in the bath and asked me to check what was going on. The chickens and ducks were all lined up looking out of their run. At first I could not see anything but then at the top end of the garden spotted a Fox looking back at the hens. I ran out but the Fox was quite brazen and watched me approach before running off. Good job our hen run resembles Colditz.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #473 on: May 30, 2014, 20:02 »
We will probably end up killing all wildlife that impinges on our lives.

8doubles

« Reply #474 on: May 31, 2014, 07:18 »
We will probably end up killing all wildlife that impinges on our lives.

Yes , that is the way of most territorial animals. If it is a problem we get rid of .

Fleas , slugs , rats, wolves all have the same rights to life as us but when it comes to the crunch people that do not control pests (and their neighbours) will lose out.

robbiejormerod

• My Allotment Diary
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2014, 23:41 »
This might not be suitable for everyone, but I have a security guard for my chickens. She generally patrols the outside of the run, but does like to pop in from time to time to make sure that everything is in order.  :D
rps20141112_233055.jpg
rps20141112_233325.jpg
rps20141112_233412.jpg

Mrs Bee

« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2014, 17:07 »
Awww, how lovely is that. :lol: :lol:

barley

« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2014, 18:43 »
bless her

my little one not only guards our chooks she thinks she is one LOL

Mrs Bee

« Reply #478 on: February 23, 2015, 10:10 »
Oh well I suppose it had to happen. We have 2 foxes that make free in our garden at all times of the night and day, and up to now the electric fence has kept the girls safe. Damn things are totally fearless.

All I can say is thank heavens Mr Bee woke up early and was able to save most of our girls. We lost Daisy an old girl and Inky a new girl and Mr Bee has taken to his bed with a sick bucket he is so upset.

I am off to clear up the feathers and entrails. :(

And I thought all was well in the Bee household.

Springlands

« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2015, 11:41 »
Oh I am so sorry to hear about the Fox attack. It is really horrible when it happens.  >:( 

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 37 queries.