When winter calls...

• 10 Replies

Lorie

When winter calls...
« on: September 06, 2009, 20:30 »
With regards to "second thoughts" posted by Ma Lowe, what is the deal with hens and Winter..does their diet change,are they prone to coughs and colds (and yes i am being serious.) Do they venture out if there is snow on the ground ? We have managed really well with our 9 girls,but now,not so confident about first Winter..any tips..thank you..Lorie :blush:

Vember

Re: When winter calls...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 20:41 »
There's loads of good advice to be found here Lorie

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26974.0

It's a long while since mine have seen real snow :( They are slightly hesitant at first but soon get used to it :D

Sarah :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 23:21 »
The biggest problem with having white chickens in the snow is finding them!!! lol 

When our amberlinks first saw snow, they were very hesitant about going out in it, but they are fine.  They have these neat little feather duvets they carry aound with them!  :D

We feed them the same food through the winter, but I do occasionally make them a nice warm potato peeling and porridge mash, but when you have a lot of chickens, it isn't easy getting enough potato peelings!!

Just make sure their house is draughtproof.  they can take the cold, but not good in draughts!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23 »
Mine have porrige made with water in the mornings when it's cold/frosty/snowy. If you have an uncovered run then it can get very muddy, and it's quite a miserable job cleaning them out in that weather. However March soon comes around, the days get longer and you think to yourself it wasn't that bad  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:49 »
How do you think a Bantam Frizzle will cope with the cold?  I have one that's 5 weeks old and am wondering how she will do this winter. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:31 »
This will be my first winter to with the girls, im looking forward to it, seeing them in the snow, we had loads last yr so im guessing we will again, Im a winter girl anyway, hate the  summers, October november is my favourite especially when all the leaves are falling and theres that winter nip in the air, love it  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  nickyx

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 12:47 »
Little Red Hen, i've got Frizzles, i'm sure i read somewhere they feel the cold more than others, but i gave mine all loads of bedding and they were fine :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 13:54 »
when it is really cold i give my girls hot mas for their breakfast and iat night if it is going to be a frost i rub some vaseline on their combs to stop it gettine to cold and the girls dont mind it being done to them. But it gets the neighbours talking when they see me armed with a torch and a very large tub of vaseline going to the chickens :lol:

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 17:28 »
We made sure the house was really draught proof (without of course cutting off the ventilation) and it is really but there were a places that needed some maintenance.  We gave them warm mash (which they loved) plus some poultry spice (one of them decided to moult right in the middle of the really cold snap).

The first snow they ventured out, but soon went back in again.  The other times it snowed they looked out of their window and said no thanks, not keen and stayed in.  We did clear some of the snow from around the house and by the end of the second day (when we had a really bad one) they did come out but only onto the cleared ground, they weren't keen on the snow at all.  They were very very happy when it had gone!

Another reason we are thinking about Black Rocks if/when we increase the flock as apparently they are quite hardy and used to 'difficult' conditions - and this year it has been wet, windy and horrible and I am talking about July and August!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 17:35 »
Hoping ousr are tough and hardy, as it gets really cold up, usually lots of snow. Just hoping the weight won't bring the new roof down.

Bit worried about Tilly who is a bit slow in refeathering after the battery experience,  she might be getting a sweater for Christmas.

Now that would be a good thread..........what are you getting your girls for Christmas?  Might start it nearer the time.

Though it is definately getting colder already.  Noticed steam coming off some poo earlier.  Marvellous stuff! :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 19:51 »
i was worried last winter and yes i did lose a couple but i think that was more from illnesses then the cold weather but i got though it ok .
the best thing to do is give them nice deep beds for them to snuggle into make sure the water is kept flowing { easrier said then done } and tell them not to stand out in the rain  :lol: also plenty of food  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
my first winter

Started by kellym on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 19:40
by kellym
xx
Winter Tip

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:27
by Derculees
xx
First winter, 2 questions

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:47
by MICK C
xx
Winter bedding...

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 16, 2009, 11:18
by Chookster

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.