My first chicken question. Feed mash and fresh vegetables!

• 8 Replies

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
I still have a month before I become a chicken keeper but I dont want to make too many mistakes at the cost of my birds welfare. I have read in various places about making a 'mash' from vegetable leftovers. It seems they will be virtualy free to feed! But none of them explain why I make the mash rather than feed them the vegetables fresh. I plan to grow some extra corn now and feed them the dried ripe cobs and grow various greens for them. Is this not such a good idea then, and should all this go into a mash? Also potato peeling, can I feed them straight to the birds? I will happily grow extra crops for my girls if they need it :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hi Spud.  Give your new girlies lots of greens.  You grow them lovely cabbages and you will get lovely yellow yolks!

I only make my girls a bit of mash cold autumn and winter days.  boil up all the previous nights peelings and any veg leftovers youhave, then while still warm and mushy, mix in either some of their layers pellets or mash or I use cheap porridge oats.

They will go made for that little treat nice and warm!

And I believe that raw pellings are not good for them, so I always cook any first, make them nice and mushy.  But don't give them too many treats, makes em fat and lazy!!!   :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:12 by GrannieAnnie »

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Thanks Grannie Annie, I will sow them lots of cabbages then! What kind of protien would they need? Should I grow some extra beans or get the boys to gather snails? Or maybe there is a supplement I should feed along with the mash?

GrannieAnnie

Are you going to feed them on proprietary layers pellets too Spud?  They should have all the protein they need with that, but when they are out on the ground, they will also find insects, worms, etc to give them a little extra.

but when you are digging, if you find any snails, slugs, grubs, worms, chcuk them into the chooks run and watch them chase around!! :D

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
If the best thing is to use pellets as well as mash and fresh veg then I shall do that! I suppose just like anything else a varied diet is good :)

Sopho

I put all the peelings and left over veg from our sunday roasts in a big pan and boil it up for them. They love it... I have to share it out into two bowls to prevent arguments but I do also give them layers pellets in the morning and a little scoop of mixed corn at night and a handful or two of fresh veggy greens each day! I also have a tree log in their run that I have drilled holes into and I hide treats in there before I let them out in the morning, I also hang cabbages and apples on string from the roof of the run so they have to stretch or even jump to get a peck at it.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Thanks for asking this question. I have been feeding my girls with left-overs but stopped as it seems to give them the runs. I had never thought of diluting it with layers pellets as suggested by grannie.

meterman

• Experienced Member
Layer pellets should be available all day, I then feed greens after 2pm (potatoes and their peelings must be cooked) everything else can be fed raw
What i,m growing for them this year, field beans dried beans for winter leaves and pods fresh, runner beans, chard, cabbage, sprouts, caul leaves (i eat heads) lettuce, courgette, pumpkin, cucumber, tomato, raspberries, plums, apples.there are more just cant think of them. 1 more WEEDS give them all your weeds they love em
hope this helps

GrannieAnnie

We do have a few old timers on here who never feed their chickens the pellets as they make up their own feed, but for those of us who don't have enough knowledge to do that, buying a proper layers pellet is best as it has all the protein, vitamins etc that your chicken needs to give you those lovely eggs.

xx
chicken feed (mash)

Started by Caretaker on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 17:57
by Tony H
xx
how much mash to feed

Started by leebou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 20:54
by dugless
xx
What fresh Greens can I feed my Hens ?

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 10:52
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
chicken mash

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 08:57
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 33 queries.