Chick-O-Dee

• 11 Replies

Gaz55

Chick-O-Dee
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:53 »
Hello, last time I was on here was back in the Summer ( blimey I have forgotten what sun is !)...Everybody was so helpfull with the plight of lil ol Chick-O-Dee ...To update she recovered from what was I suspect "Gapes" after all, with treatment of the Fluebevent? (can`t remember the name I am sure it was something like that)...Anyway she has been laying eggs nearly every day and has become a real member of the family along with the Dogs Duck rabbits cats an all...But now she has developed a limp over the last few days ,we have rested her up indoors in the warm ...We have inspected her feet and can see nothing obvious after reffering to Katie Thear`s  Guide" Starting with Chickens"...We cannot see any "Scaley" legs and no swelling from puss under the sole of her feet the simptoms of "Bumble foot"...Has any body got any ideas as to what is wrong? btw she layed an  egg yesterday so all seems to be ok in that department and they are not very big eggs so I don`t think that  is a problem .
Gaz

Vember

Re: Chick-O-Dee
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:18 »
Hi Gaz

Is it possible she may have twisted it a bit jumping down funny from her perch?
Bumble foot doesn't always mean a puss filled lump sometimes it can just be a hard lump with a black top to it.

Best thing I can advise is limited movement for a day or two and as I was advised when one of the ducks started limping a squig of Ibuleve gel rubbed on the bad leg :)
Would it be possible to restrict her with out separating her completely from the others?This would save any reintroduction problems if you could :D

Hope that helps

Sarah :)

Gaz55

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51 »
Hello Sarah, thanks for your reply...It`s so frustrating not knowing what exactly is wrong any help is appreciated...At the moment she is just sitting around all the time in doors, which is so unlike her,also she is panting with her mouth agape with her wings half open by her side...She does stand on the leg now and again but struggles to walk on it ,but has been preening herself now and again,but not eating very much...The other thing that bothers me is that my wife has allways fed her on boiled rice,which she absolutely loves...But  she does have access to and eats some layers pellets...Do you think that this could be a diet associated problem?
Gaz

Vember

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:15 »
Does she look over weight?
If she is carrying a bit too much extra around this wont help her leg.

Might be an idea to knock all treats on the head & just give her layers pellets in the morning and a handful of corn of an evening before bed :)

Sarah :D

Gaz55

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17 »
Hello Sarah, I don`t think she is over-weight, it`s a bit strange how in a matter of a few days she has changed from running arround the garden to be incapacitated sitting arround in doors...do your chickens stay out in the rain getting soaked,and in the frosty weather?...Gaz

Vember

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40 »
Hi Gaz

The answer to the standing around in the rain is yes  :blink:
Although if it gets very bad they will shelter in the bushes :)

I think as it's happened so suddenly that your looking more at an injury -jumping down from her perch maybe?
Try restricting her movement - cage rest if possible, and put some of the ibuleve on if you can :)

The only other thing you can do is try and find a poultry friendly vet in your area and ask them to take a look at her :D

Sarah :)

Gaz55

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:39 »
Hello sarah, thanks again for your advise ...We will monitor her over the Weekend,and see how she is on monday with a view of contacting a Vet if there is no inprovment.
Gaz

Gaz55

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50 »
Hello Sarah, just a quick line to update you on Chick-O-Dee...Unfortunately she died last night, but after bizzare circumstances... Yesterday she had almost totally recovered from the leg scenario, walking around with only the slightest of limps,eating well and preening herself...We went out early evening to sort out my horses and on our return she had developed a chronic breathing problem...We took her to a "cicken friendly" vet not far from us who took some samples of a mucous she was exreting from her mouth and gave her three injections (not sure what they were)...Anyway she perked up and appeared almost normal, not struggleing for breath and standing up on her own...But on the way home she had a relapse that she never recovered from...We are gutted here as she was such a central part of the family (even the dogs & cats respected her !)...Still there you go, perhaps we will find out what it was that killed her from the test results...Thanks again for your help & advise.
Gaz

Vember

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 14:42 »
Oh Gaz :(

I'm so sorry
That's really sad :(

Hugs to you and your family

Sarah :(

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 15:31 »
I am so sorry for your loss :(.

dugless

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 15:52 »
Hi, Gaz what a blow  :(Just when you thought the worst was over.
I suppose I have ben lucky My four are doing fine but then you never know.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Gaz55

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 21:33 »
Hello, thanks to everyone for your sentiments ...To update every one the vet rang this afternoon,(Steve Smith from Wendover/Holton surgery) great guy ! he said she had suffered a upper respiratary tract infection...So I guess that brings us some comfort drawing closure to a very sad period...We are going to get another chick very soon , in memory of Chick-O-Dee  but not to replace her...After all she was one of a kind from the first day she ventured out from a barn to stand in the pouring rain  by my van door when I was looking to buy a lil chick...As if she was saying "pick me"! She wasn`t a strong chick from the outset,as some you may remember back  May/June last year...But she did grow to be beautifull adult bird and a proper little caracter... We miss her terribly at the moment, but they say time is a great healer...Gaz 

xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Dud chick?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 00:01
by mdueal
xx
Help with day old chick

Started by laa666 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 11:34
by kegs

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 34 queries.