Marek's Disease

• 9 Replies

fluffy

Marek's Disease
« on: August 19, 2008, 22:10 »
Hi Folks
Wonder if you can help us.  We started keeping chickens Easter 2007 with 7 POL pullets (various breeds).  Our first chook went off her leg at the end of the summer and was finally unable to walk.  The second did the same this easter - both birds looked otherwise very well and were eating and drinking.  These two birds were from a different supplier to the others and hadn't been vacinated against Merecks.  Now one of our supposedly vaccinated birds has gone lame and is hobbling around.  Does anyone know how effective the vaccine is or suggest what else might be wrong please.  My hubby is a vet but unfortunately not a chook expert and is running out of ideas!  We have had a problem with louse and red mite - could this be the cause?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards
Diana

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Marek's Disease
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 22:41 »
I'm sure your husband will know all the information I can give.  He will have access to much more in-depth information on the Internet.  But as I understand it Marek's is caused by a herpes virus and can have 3 types of manifestation

Neurological - which causes floppy chickens which are paralyzed temporarily. or longer lasting paralysis of wings and legs and they may have eye problems too.

Visceral - In which the birds develop tumors in the internal organs and muscles.

Cutaneous - Where the birds have tumours of feather follicles.

It is my belief that vaccination does not prevent the birds from becoming infected but does prevent them from developing tumours.

Marek's is a very infectious disease and is picked up mainly from feather dander and anything which can harbor dust and dirt - buckets mops brooms equipment of any kind. Virus can remain viable in the environment for well over a year !

Once a bird is infected it will remain infected for life and be capable of passing the disease on whether or not vaccinated. Some breeds are more susceptible to Marek's and some less but if a bird has Marek's and is not immediately culled then the rest of the flock will probably become infected.  And the environment will as I've said be a source of infection for a long time !!!  Good hygiene and bio-security is therefore be ESSENTIAL.  

I hope some of this has helped you and your husband Diana.

If your husband would like to become a chicken expert he could be our "Vet in Residence" :wink:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Marek's Disease
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 22:42 »
I don't wish to teach you to suck eggs but have you looked at her foot is it hot underneath and if so could it be bumble foot. She could have jumped from the perch and jared her leg. Maybe some Metacam will help her if she is in pain.

Have you managed to reduce the red mite with any treatments?

I will put my thinking cap on.

Foxy

Marek's Disease
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 23:09 »
Have you had a post mortem done to diagnose Mareks disease? some breeds are more susceptible than others e.g Silkies. Would be worth contacting the suppliers to identify if there has been a recent outbeak. If one bird has been infected with the virus it is likely that your other birds have to some degree unfortunately contracted the virus. As Auntie has mentioned it sounds like the nervous form may have been contracted thus commonly affecting the sciatic nerve causing problems with motor co-ordination. Hope this helps and welcome to the forums! :lol:

fluffy

Marek's Disease
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 23:16 »
thanks Aunt Sally that is useful to know.

The house is being pressure washed and treated with Poultry Shield every few days for the mite and louse - unfortunately it is the kids old playhouse and has a felt roof so this is an ongoing project.
We will check again tomorrow for bumble foot but she seemed clear yesterday when I looked - thanks for reminding me KIm T.

No PM was done but I am thinking of phoning the supplier tomorrow to see whether there have been any other problems.

Thanks again for the advice for us chicken novices - much appreciated as ever.
Diana

Foxy

Marek's Disease
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 23:22 »
you might want to strip off the felt and replace with new felt -might find a lot of red mite hiding in the process,felt can be a nice breeding area for them.

T C

• Experienced Member
brumble foot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:17 »
:Hi im new to this, but ive been watching with intrest, you said in last nights forum that the hen may have brumble foot, do you know of a cure for this, anyone please
T C TOP CAT

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Marek's Disease
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:39 »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Marek's Disease
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:41 »
Bumble foot is very difficult to cure and it is better to try to prevent it in the first place.  

It requires the foot pad abscess to be opened and cleaned and dressed with antibiotics.  It can take a long time to respond and sometimes doesn't.

This is a good article about it.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755

T C

• Experienced Member
brumble foot
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:05 »
thank you aunt sally for the information, our hens havent got brumble foot, but a year ago we got a rescue dog from the dog pound in Malaga, she came to us with a wound to two pads, after a year of trips to the vet, biopseys, blood tests, 1,000 euros spent, we find that she has pododermatitis, which im told is brumble foot, ive got to admit ive never heard of this before, sorry ive diverted from the subject of hens, but im desperate to cuer this poor dog.

xx
Marek's Disease

Started by Beth on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:28
by Beth
xx
Worms or Marek's?

Started by ClarefromOxford on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 13:42
by ClarefromOxford
xx
Lame pullet- probably Marek's

Started by jhub on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 13:20
by kegs
xx
Suppliers of poultry and Marek's diease

Started by happy chick on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 19:40
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 33 queries.