Scaley Leg!!!

• 12 Replies

02rlgudgin

Scaley Leg!!!
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:22 »
Well hello newbie here, My friend and I got an allotment and within a few months we had chickens unfortunately when we got them our cockerel had scaley leg and still has I was wondering if anyone has any good cures because its not very pleasant to look at and i'm sure not very comfortable for him thanks for your help
33 chickens and 2 lil call ducks woohoo

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:27 »
Hi scaley leg is caused by mites under the scales on the legs, there's a few different remedies about, most popular seem's to be to dip the hens legs into surgical spirit for about 20 sec's to kill the mites, or some people paint parrafin onto the legs once a week for 3 weeks, but thats only any good if your hen has not got feathers all the way down to it's feet. Either way the legs still stay scaley looking until they naturally replace them.
Look out for some good advice from muntjac  he keeps loads of hens so I'm sure he will know the best treatment.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 13:07 »
Maybe you could try smothering his legs with vaseline (i've read it suffocates the mites)

Dont worry muntjac will know
Starting from scratch............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 13:30 »
Not a nice condition (particularly if you are the chicken!)

This is an extract from an article I wrote about external parasites for a chicken forum.  I hope it is helpful :D

Scaly Leg Mite

Scaley Leg Mite (Knemidocoptes mutans) is found on the scales of the legs and feet, you may see lifting of the scales, and separation from the skin of the leg underneath. The legs and feet may become swollen, tender and have a discharge or exudate forming under the scales and can give the bird trouble walking.

Scaley leg mite can be treated by a direct contact treatment with a substance which will suffocate the mite such as petroleum jelly, vegetable or mineral oils, but may need treatment by a vet. It is wise to treat the chicken coop with mite powder or spray repeating after one week.

DO NOT PULL OFF OR PICK THE SCALES. They will fall off and be replaced when the chicken moults.

muntjac

Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 13:42 »
hear hear sally .. i agrees with ya .  :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 13:43 »
Thank you me duck  :D

madbantamlady

Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 20:34 »
I have used Vaseline or the cheaper petroleum jelly option from Boots and it works really well. Surgical spirit I haven't tried because it sounds potentially painful. If you have feather footed chucks I recommend trimming the feathers back before lather the gloop on. Repeat after 2 weeks then treat your coop.
Some breeds are much more susceptible than others especially those with feathered feet, in my experience.
If you get a really bad case that the scales really separate and open up on I would apply a good quality antibiotic purple spray such as Terramycin or Alamycin (available from vets or agricultural merchants)

muntjac

Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 20:45 »
if the cockerel is the one with tha bad scaley leg matey id take the banages off as the mites wil be loving the dark . wask the legs with fairy liquid . dry with tissue paper wrapped around  for a few mins .then applay loads of vaseline or petjelly .and i promise ya it will sort him out ,also do all the other birds / smear pet jelly on the underside ya perches also .. when ya clean the coop out next time .. hit it hard with hot water and jeyes fluid  /./ you willl soonhave it all happy and contented . and i agree with others they are happy looking bird s  :wink:

no hens

Re: Scaley Leg!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 14:33 »
hi
Just wanted to warn you and others that scaley leg is tranferable to humans as SCABIES!!!!!

I have just had to get rid of my hens after unfortunately contracting scabies in this way
 ( fortunately my Doctor has kept hens for 16 years & when I presented with my roblems she immediately diagnosed it and the link to the hen with scaly leg.

Apparently u are more at risk of contracting scabies in this way if u have a low auto- immune system due to being  - elderly, have rheumatoid arthritis (thats me!) or are downs syndrome.

Also ,if u have a low itch tolerance (also me), , this componds the problenm as u don't realise until the problem has got hold that u have a problem!!!

Take care!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 20:05 »
Well yes but it's not common I imagine a lot of poultry keepers have had red mite!
You normally have to have close contact to contract scabies , they burrow under your skin especially in between the fingers in folds of the skin etc.

Good hygiene is essential for you and yours birds, and will minimise the risks. We use sulphur soap at home especially when I've been doctoring the cat or handling the hens ( when we had them )

No need for people to panic and get rid of good birds it's something that can be overcome

Good luck with clearing it up, lots of hoovering and tumble drying at your house for a few weeks.
Ooh Sulphur soaps great for lots of skin conditions too ...pongs a bit tho'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 20:08 by richyrich7 »

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10 »
Surgical spirit and petrolleum jelly are traditional remedies but a little messy and labour intensive as several applications are usually required.

I believe invermectin (Harkers sell this) online. At around £9 (£8.50 ebay)spotted on the base of the neck is effective as I believe is Frontline though more expensive.  These also will kill other parasites such as lice so I'd give one of these a try rather than surgical spirit especially if your cockerel smokes in bed :lol:

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/Harkamectin__ivermectin_Drops.html
Truth through science.

Casey76

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:56 »
Scaley leg mites (Knemidocoptes mutans) DO NOT cause scabies in humans (which is caused by Sarcoptes scabiei)

In general poulty lice and mites cannot live on humans.  There may be transfer of lice and mites during handling or treatment, which may lead to temporary itching or even allergic reactions (usually caused by an allergy to the mites faeces), but they do not burrow under your skin or suck your blood, we are incompatable!

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47 »
Scaley leg mites (Knemidocoptes mutans) DO NOT cause scabies in humans (which is caused by Sarcoptes scabiei)

In general poulty lice and mites cannot live on humans.  There may be transfer of lice and mites during handling or treatment, which may lead to temporary itching or even allergic reactions (usually caused by an allergy to the mites faeces), but they do not burrow under your skin or suck your blood, we are incompatable!

Phewwwwww!  Thank goodness for that I can now stop putting Frontline on the MIL :wub:
HF

xx
scaley leg

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 15:11
by Madrat
xx
Scaley leg

Started by Marrianne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 03:46
by Tony H
question
Scaley Leg

Started by Bev on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 15:14
by Bev
xx
scaley leg

Started by melody on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:35
by Tony H

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 36 queries.