Small proplapse what do I do.

• 2 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Small proplapse what do I do.
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:11 »
I have a 3-4 year od Black Rock.  She had a prolapse yesterday which I pushed back in.  I don't think she's laid for a week or so. 

She is really hard to catch, I caught her yesterday when she was stealing the cats food, but don't think that'll work again anytime soon.  What do I need to do?  Do I need to check her regularly and push back in when it comes out?  Might it have been a one-off?

I get an idea from the last post about a prolapse, that she might be alright if she stops laying eggs.  I only have one other chicken, so maybe a bit easier to monitor the other one going for her prolapse.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Small proplapse what do I do.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17 »
If it has gone back in and stays in, she may well be OK.  I have had this happen.  If it keeps happening, that is serious and can lead to all sorts of problems that the vet may be able to help with, but could mean you have to cull her.

Keep a close eye for now and cross your fingers.  If you need to grab her again and can't catch her, wait until after they have settled for the night.  They go into a kind of trance and can be picked up easily  :)

Sassy

Re: Small proplapse what do I do.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 15:29 »
Some people on here have used haemarroid sp? cream to help once pushed back. If still laying is likely to happen again. As very pink other chooks may peck at it! To catch your hen get her once settled down at night, they go very dopey.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Very Small Egg

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2010, 21:13
by Foxy
clip
Small Egg......

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 09:09
by joyfull
xx
too small run

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 14:18
by Casey76
xx
A very very very small egg!

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 08:39
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 41 queries.