Oh my god absolute carnage I can't believe it

• 14 Replies

Mum2mj

Oh my god absolute carnage I can't believe it
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:13 »
A fox has managed to attack my ducks through the bars if the eglu, 2 seem unhurt, 2 have had an entire leg ripped off and are obviously on their way out and two are actually stuck with their legs out the back of the eglu tray with a foot each missing. I am in pieces,  I can't free the ducks by myself, husband is home in 45 minutes - the girls will be devastated as an I - I feel so sick. It's truly awful

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Oh my god absolute carnage I can't believe it
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 20:15 »
That is horrific.  What an awful thing to find.  I feel so sorry for you and your poor ducks  :(

grinling

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 20:30 »
I'm so sorry.....have you been able to save any?

Keep ducks inside as the fox will be back, but monitor them as the shock may be too much.

I would not advise burial due to the fox.

Is it possible for a fox proof run ie buried in the ground

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 20:36 »
Thankyou newshoot. Think they must have slept with their feet poking through the gap at the back of the eglu above the droppings tray as that's where the 2 were stuck. The 2 I found in the run I'm not sure as the whole leg was torn from the body. I felt so bad, and also amazed they were so alive given the trauma.  My husband kindly swiftly put them out of their misery for me. I'm so gutted though they weren't even 6 weeks  (although big as runner ducks) and I was so attached to them  :( I've cleaned out the run and we've taped the gap up and covered with a heavy blanket as well. Annoyingly they were in the eglu as we hadn't finished the duck run yet - they'd just got too big for the house  :(

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 20:40 »
Hi grinling, the eglu was temporary, the new run being built will be fox proof like the chicken run. 2 ducks are unharmed and seem fine but I'll watch out for shock I hadn't thought about that

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:43 »
I think you are right about the two you found in the eglu.  The two you found in the run must have been sleeping right next to the bars with feet either sticking through or close enough to be grabbed  :(  It may well be worth running some finer mesh around the base of the run to stop this.

How are the surviving two holding up?

Mum2mj

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 18:09 »
Hi the 2 remaining seem fine, we've taped the back of the eglu and shut them in last night, we've been around all day in the garden, hubby's got the frame up for the duck pen but just need to mesh it now.   I've got over the shock of it now but still feel sick thinking about it the poor things.   You're right though I'll need to put something up against the bars in the meantime as I see them around constantly during the day

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 18:25 »
I'm not surprised you still feel sick thinking about it.  It would haunt anyone for a while.

Glad the remaining two are OK though.  Shutting them in at night is by far the best option.  During the day they will run if they see a fox, but once asleep, most birds are vulnerable.

Mum2mj

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 18:39 »
They had been going into the eglu at night so I didn't shut them up although it could have happened early morning I suppose, it never occurred to me once that they'd be got at through the dropping tray gap though!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 19:27 »
Oh that's dreadful for you all. What a sight to come across
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:16 »
it never occurred to me once that they'd be got at through the dropping tray gap though!

I don't think it would have occurred to anyone tbh, so don't keep beating yourself up over that one.  It was a horrible experience, but one I don't think you could have foreseen.

It may actually be worth letting Omlet know.  They might put a warning up on their site in case anyone else is thinking about putting ducks in one.

Mum2mj

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 12:01 »
Omlet sell a duck house which looks identical to the classic with an exception of the hefty price increase.. I've asked if there is a difference between them and have explained what happened, I'll update their reply when I receive one. I'd hate anyone else to go through the same.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 14:30 »
What an awful experience for you and your ducks. You can only do your best and I'm sure they had been mollycoddled and well looked after. Sometime s*** happens, so sorry.  :( >:(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mum2mj

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 16:38 »
Thanks sassy.  I got a reply from Omlet although I can't help feeling a little fobbed off...

Good Afternoon Clare,

Many thanks for your email, and I am very sorry to hear of the fox incident - it is never pleasant. The Duck House is to the same specification as the Classic as you can see here - https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/ducks/60/duck_eglu_green

I will pass this on to our Design and Quality Control Team so they are aware.

Many Thanks,

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32 »
I wouldn't be too impressed with that either.  I hope you get a response from the design team and that isn't it.

I did look at the duck housing on their site and saw it was just the classic with the roosting bars removed.  Not sure how that justifies the hefty price increase :unsure:  My classic houses chickens so they roost on the bars and there is nothing showing outside to grab.  On checking the air gap, you can push a piece of cardboard through it.  If it is being sold for floor roosting birds, who could huddle at the rear and have feet showing through, that gap needs a guard over it or something.  If they hadn't considered that before, they should now you have reported the risk to them.

xx
Absolute beginner

Started by inab on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 17:12
by inab
xx
Some Advice for an Absolute Beginner?

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 10:49
by JaK

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.