Urgent help required - one duckling dead, the other failing UPDATE NUMBER 2!

• 14 Replies

Helenaj

Hi

I so hope that someone can help me. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I rescued 3 Mallard ducklings. I purchased a couple of more ducklings of the same age to keep them company from a reputable dealer and this was on 13th April. Yesterday, I had one duckling that seemed reluctant to stand - no previous signs (I spend quite some time watching them daily so would have noticed symptoms immediately). She died a couple of hours later. This morning I've got another one with the same symptoms. She tries to move away if you approach her but can't seem to stand.

I clean them out every other day and their water is changed a minimum of twice a day. they are on wood shavings in a shed at the moment because they are way too young to be out and about. I had them on unmedicated chick crumb and weaning them on to growers but haven't got a clue. Could it be niacin deficiency? If so, how much brewers yeast do I need to place in their feed?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:52 by Helenaj »

8doubles

Have they got a heat lamp or other brooder ?

Helenaj

Have they got a heat lamp or other brooder ?

They have been off the heat for about two weeks now and it is warm enough inside the shed - no draughts. They have deep woodshavings to cuddle into and I'm pretty sure that it's not that they are chilled. I've just been to see them and the one I thought was failing seems a bit more lively. I can't work it out. I've bought brewers yeast and will start them on it tonight to see if it has any positive results.

grinling

http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html

site might help

Are you feeding them chicken or duck pellets?

Helenaj

Hi grinling

Chick starter crumb initially and now on chicken growers - all non medicated. I can't get anything else, hence I thought it may be niacin deficiency. I'm keeping them spotless because they are so naturally mucky so I don't think that it is due to bad hygiene. I've heard wild mallards are carriers of duck plague, so hope it isn't that (the 3 little mallards are full of life). If I lose another it will have to be a trip to the vets for a pm otherwise I risk losing them all.

I'm due to check on them in an hour so fingers crossed that the niacin is what the problem is.

Sassy

I have kept ducks and ducklings on chicken feed and had strong healthy birds who lay very well so it should not be this. Whether wild birds may need slightly different feeding I don't know. Sorry I cannot help with symptoms but it may help to isolate sick birds if you can. I hope you get things sorted  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

LotuSeed

Have you contacted a vet?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Helenaj

Not been to a vet yet - the little one who was off her feet is up and about but a little wobbly this afternoon, so it would seem that it is the niacin. Fingers crossed that it is and we shall see what the morning brings.

Helenaj

Hi Folks

It is a niacin deficiency. The other failing duckling that we have has been on a brewers yeast supplement for just over a week and is coming on leaps and bounds. I am also giving her warm baths, slightly out of her depth which takes the weight of her joints but allows her to swim and exercise the joints. She absolutely loves it and we are hard pressed to keep her in our hands as soon as she sees the bowl arriving (the vet recommended hydrotherapy). She is now able to support weight on the joints but is not yet able to walk freely about, so fingers crossed she will improve and improve.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
That is good news.  I have a lovely picture in my head of an excited little duckling, trying to jump out of your hands, into her luxury heated indoor swimming pool  :lol:

Sassy

Hi Folks

It is a niacin deficiency. The other failing duckling that we have has been on a brewers yeast supplement for just over a week and is coming on leaps and bounds. I am also giving her warm baths, slightly out of her depth which takes the weight of her joints but allows her to swim and exercise the joints. She absolutely loves it and we are hard pressed to keep her in our hands as soon as she sees the bowl arriving (the vet recommended hydrotherapy). She is now able to support weight on the joints but is not yet able to walk freely about, so fingers crossed she will improve and improve.

Hydrotherapy for ducks! BRILLIANT. Speaking as someone who has been having hydrotherapy for nearly a year following an accident, I can assure you that until you have felt the benefits you cannot appreciate how great it is. When I first started it was like magic. Really I am not exaggerating.

Excellent idea and so simple and easy :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:30 by Sassy »

Helenaj

Hydrotherapy for ducks! BRILLIANT. Speaking as someone who has been having hydrotherapy for nearly a year following an accident, I can assure you that until you have felt the benefits you cannot appreciate how great it is. When I first started it was like magic. Really I am not exaggerating.

Excellent idea and so simple and easy :D

I know it sounds mad but the vet said that it must be warm water not just tepid. She loves it. When she sees the bowl with her "special" feed (basically, growers mixed into a semi mash with the brewers yeast), she can't wait to get that down her beak because she knows what's following : feed = bath. She is in it for as long as she likes and when she wants to get out she sticks her beak over the bowl - simple as that! My OH insists on doing the evening sessions because I'm sure he loves cuddling up to her when she has just come out and is drying off in a towel, although he'll never admit it!!!

Helenaj

Hi Folks

Just to let you know that my little duckling is all recovered and back with the rest. She has a slight limp but nothing else. During this warm weather I've been home due to an allergic reaction I had to medication for a lung infection, so let them out on the pond where I can keep a safe eye on them and I must say the hydrotherapy has worked wonders - she is a far better swimmer than all of the others put together and I have 3 rescue mallards in the flock!

It was hard work hand feeding her every couple of hours and then making sure that she swims regularly, but it has been all worth it!  :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Yay - well done you  :D  A lucky little duckling to have such devoted care  :)

Hope you are on the mend and feel better soon as well  :)

Sassy

Brilliant. It was worth persevering and all you hard work  :D

xx
dead chicken number 3 please help

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 23:19
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
dead chicken number 2 !!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 21:25
by mdueal
xx
Runner duckling problem - update

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 22:16
by Rubellite
xx
Urgent help required

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 16:36
by joyfull

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.