dead chicken

• 4 Replies

Lizziechick

dead chicken
« on: July 16, 2014, 15:30 »
Hi all
A friend of mine has just had her little silkie bantam die on her. She had been broody for a while and then they gave her some eggs, which hatched about a week ago, and everything was going fine until today when my friend went to the chicken run and found the bantam sitting on her front with her head down. My friend touched her and some fluid came out of her mouth, and a little while later she died. Does anyone know what could have been wrong with her? My friend is worried that it was because she was eating too much chick crumb but I wouldn't have thought that a week of chick crumb could kill a bird, she must have been ill. I have three unvaccinated chickens in my flock which is less than a mile away from my friend's, and I am worried that there is an infectious disease going round. I'd be grateful for any advice or ideas about what might have killed the bantam.
Plus there is now this situation that the little week old chicks have lost their mum! We were wondering if they could be given to one of the other chickens my friend has that are currently brooding to look after??? Or will she have to raise them herself?
thanks
Lizzie

Sassy

Re: dead chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:35 »
The concern about trying to home them with another broody is they may not accept them, also if there us some infectious disease this is far from ideal for the broody to be used.

It could just be that the silky had been broody for a while when she was given the eggs and then sitting and hatching the eggs may have just been too much. Had she been eating well during this time? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Lizziechick

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 16:29 »
I think she'd been eating OK, but maybe you're right - it has been really hot here too... maybe she dehydrated or something.  They have given the chicks to another broody who seems to have accepted them so far...

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 22:34 »
How old was the bantam? Had they been taking her off twice a day to eat/drink/poop? Was the water bowl easy for the hen to drink out of, I use an actual water feeder though a dog dish for the chick crumb. Was there shade provided?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 19:59 »
Broody's are also sitting targets for red mite, they could have sucked too much blood from her. Your neighbour needs to check if they are present in the coop.

xx
Dead Chicken

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 16:07
by NormandyMary
xx
dead chicken!!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 15:40
by Porffor
xx
Dead chicken

Started by BussinSpain on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 08:27
by New shoot
xx
dead chicken

Started by peter o on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 13:41
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 33 queries.