New allotment advise please

• 6 Replies

lolly62

New allotment advise please
« on: March 29, 2012, 21:51 »
Hello everyone, i was offered my plot yesterday and have today spent 5 hours digging out dandelions, groundsel, grass and old potatoes and although its not perfectly done yet it is only half the plot.  Has anyone got any advice for me on what and how to do things first as i am new to this and i dont want to miss out on planting salad and veg for this year. thanks.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
Re: New allotment advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 23:15 »
YOu will get tons of conflicting advice, some of it from me :-).... First year I'd go with some things that will provide a crop and get you going, with an eye on stuff you like, stay away from "hard" things like celery and expensive exotics.... ASk around site for opinions on potato varieties.... we all have our favourites adn some of us raise our own varieties from the seed pods you can collect in the autumn (see under "Exotic)... Ones I'd recommend are (in no particular order) Sarpo Axona (blight-proof floury baker but no use boiled) Lady Christl (great tasting first early) Rocket (incredibly fast to crop first early) Pink Fir Apple (probably the best taste of any potato from store, but the knobbles put some folks off )...but there are tons of other, if you like roasties grow some King Edwards, if you like chips then Maris Piper. Salads are generally easy, especially spring onions and they always seem to cost silly money... Kohl Rabi is easy and if harvested small makes a sweet alternative to a radish, plus it has some bragging factor with folks who don't grow cos it looks a bit strange (adn tastes delicious) ...I'd also suggest thinking about establishing a fruit bed for things like raspberies, gooseberries, blackcurrants etc.... Raspberries are always expensive in the shops and once you've got them you tend to spend a lot of time trying to hold them back rather than encouraging them any more.... gooseberries are easy adn impossible to buy good ones, they don't ripen off th  bush and they're too soft to transport when ripe... smaes true of blackcurrants...
Carrots are easy to grow generally and if you grow Early Nantes it will be one of the best tasting carrots you've ever had..... they can suffer from root fly so you might want to think about fleecing them, ditto leeks.... If you're a veggie then there are a ton of climbing beans that you shell for the bean (in a way similar to broad beeans) but the easy one to get is the climbing Borlotti bean.. so indoors in pots mid April, plant out mid-May expect a harvest in August through October, leave some to dry on the plants and that's next years seed... they freeze easily and are easy to cook from dried too... Sweetcorn too, start at the same time and in the same way as the beans , take a camping stove to the plot with you so you can take a cob straight off the plant into the pan for lunch.... it'll ruin you for the stuff form the supermarket though....

Robster

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:49 »
Congratulations to you, and well done on 5 hours hard labour.  All good advice from Chrisscross.  I'd also buy John Harrisons Allotment book from this site.  I think you may still get some free seeds with it.

Also if you have a small patch that is ready to go I would definitely put something in that you can get a crop in a very little while.  Some lettuce, radishes spring onions peas.  I'd even get a strip of lettuce from a garden centre.  Anyway purpose is to get that buzz of eating something you have grown yourself as early as possible.  You'll be hooked for life.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:53 »
Blimey, did you post that lot without taking a breath!  :lol:

I'll simply post a link. A lot of good advice already available on this site:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lolly62

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 00:12 »
thank you all so much for your advice, all is noted and after another hard days work tomorrow i might be able to seeing my way forward to planting hopefully by next week., i will let you all know how i get on.  :)

Kim50

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 17:49 »
I have often seen the advice on here to 'dig, clear in manageable bits, grow what you like to eat and sow some fast growing veg in the parts you have cleared..oh and take photos to recorded your progress

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 19:27 »
I have often seen the advice on here to 'dig, clear in manageable bits, grow what you like to eat and sow some fast growing veg in the parts you have cleared..oh and take photos to recorded your progress

You're learning fast, Kim  ;) :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Advise wanted for new allotment grower.

Started by Flutterbye on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 20:11
by noshed
xx
Little help and advise please.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
what to sow now..please advise

Started by babyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 13:09
by viettaclark
xx
i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

Started by Noreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 19:42
by Noreen

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.