NON LAYING ORPINGTONS

• 4 Replies

adamski97

NON LAYING ORPINGTONS
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:29 »
Im hoping somebody can help me ! I have hatched 3 orpington hens and reared these for about 12 months now, no eggs yet i added a mature cock to there pen a couple of months ago still no eggs, the hens are fit and in excellent condition except for 1 which is the no3 hen who has a slightly watery eye which is a little swollen but no nasal discharge !  Can anybody give me some advice 

bantam novice

Re: NON LAYING ORPINGTONS
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 13:05 »
Hello Adamski97,

Welcome to the forum  :)

Hens can wait a long time before they start to lay.  I read one post here where the hen did not lay for over two years before starting.  You may need to give it time.   Sometimes putting a few golf balls or rubber eggs in their nest box can encourage them, I've heard.  I have to say I've not tried it myself.

Have you checked that they are not laying away?  They are very clever at hiding clutches.

What are you giving them to eat?

Is your hen with the swollen eye eating, drinking, Poohing and moving around as usual?

I am not that expert; however I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to advise you.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

adamski97

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 15:14 »
Thankyou for you reply Bantam novice i have had chickens for nearly 7 years but never had any problems like this, they definately dont lay they have a run about 12ft x 12 feet and a sizebale hen house, they have been reared on layers meal they all drink and move around properly although the poo is caramel cream in colour and runny? Any more ideas i dont know wether they have something? or are maybe afraid of the cock but he is nice natured!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 15:47 »
There is a good page on chicken pooh with pictures.  I don't have the link to hand but if you type chicken pooh   in the search box in the top right-hand corner you should find it.  Good luck  :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16 »
Orpingtons are not renowned for their laying abilities and some hens do take a long time. Give them some more time you never know :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Orpingtons

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 20:34
by Madrat
xx
buff orpingtons

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:28
by richyrich7
xx
Perches for Orpingtons

Started by slowef on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 19:33
by slowef
xx
White Orpingtons

Started by Briony on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 12:44
by raeburg

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 28 queries.