Nest box

• 7 Replies

walker

Nest box
« on: March 15, 2010, 19:46 »
This morning i was able to observe the chucks most of the day,they have become
mid morning to mid day layers, i was gathering the disinfectants to clean the coop
top to bottom and stood in disbelieve as they promptly qued up for the right hand
side of the nestbox. One after the other went in and layed their egg  :wacko: ,do they not realise there is another side to the nestbox or do the hens always lay in the same place.
question i have is do i remove the dividers and make it one big nestbox or just leave them to it   :D
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

robinsnest

• robin gardens
Re: Nest box
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 19:49 »
I had that problem, I just removed the dividers and often there were two laying together. (that was before I lost 5 of my brood to the fox on Saturday :(
Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 19:57 »
I have a double seater nest box that the hens will share with a good mate, but only a good mate.

Where they lay is a fashion thing and they may suddenly decide the other side is better. :D

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 21:09 »
My three always use the left hand side of the nest box (which can take all three at a pinch but is not divided) I have three eggs in a clutch waiting for me.....

walker

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 14:16 »
removed the divider today and had three chucks in the nestbox at once it didnt seem to bother them. but did notice after one of the RIR layed, and one of the light sussex promptly leaned over and rolled the RIR's egg underneath her and sat on it, after about ten minutes she was still sitting on it so i went in to the nestbox and moved her on and she had also layed an egg.is this signs of her maybe getting broody if so should i continue to move her off the eggs to stop it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 15:22 »
did she fluff up and make a growling noise when you tried to move her off it? if yes then she is broody. I have one sitting on eggs at the moment and not only does she growl and fluff up but she gets quite violent with her beak as well  :lol:
Still hopefully in my case I will get some pretty araucana chicks out of this.
But in your case then yes keep turfing her off those eggs (it may take a few weeks to break this cycle  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 17:22 »
My girls gather up all the eggs laid earlier and sit for a while, but they soon get bored ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

walker

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 18:14 »
did she fluff up and make a growling noise when you tried to move her off it? if yes then she is broody. I have one sitting on eggs at the moment and not only does she growl and fluff up but she gets quite violent with her beak as well  :lol:
Still hopefully in my case I will get some pretty araucana chicks out of this.
But in your case then yes keep turfing her off those eggs (it may take a few weeks to break this cycle  :().

she didnt make a growling noise when i moved her on she left the nestbox and roosting area and stood on the ladder going into the coop and started shouting quite loud before joining the others digging the lawn up :mad:
she was making a growling / purring noise when the others went into the nest box beside her and she did have a peck at one chuck and moved her on. this was after pinching the other chucks egg :lol:

question
Will they lay in the nest box next?

Started by crem on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 01:29
by hillfooter
smiley
how do I get her to lay in the nest box,

Started by speedy chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 21:52
by Tazzy
xx
Nest box help.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 22:29
by Chookiechook
xx
nest beb

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 17:34
by Vember

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.