what a waist

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

what a waist
« on: December 29, 2023, 09:49 »
we had a trip out to  our local Dobbies garden centre yesterday as you do when you've not got anything to do because its raining looking round  they had a 50% sale on selected items and I noticed around  70 Christmas trees if not more  for sale for £10.00 each so who would buy a Christmas tree after Christmas I ask myself

and  I suspect as these trees where cut not rooted  they will end up in the skip what a waist of a tree and I guess Dobbies are not the only G/C to have Christmas trees left on the hands talk about planting trees and conservation

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: what a waist
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 17:44 »
RW, although some cut Christmas trees will go to waste, I hope this information will give you some comfort.

I'm sure in the UK (like the USA) the trees are a planted and cultivated crop.  Some farmer, or sylviculturist, planted those trees as a crop, sold them, and fed a family with the proceeds.  Like all crops, not everything harvested gets used for the intended purpose. 

From a planting trees/conservation standpoint, stands of farmed young Christmas trees provide food, shelter and cover for wildlife.  The ground is not tilled, so they conserve soil and minimize erosion. When trees are planted to replace the cut trees, typically they are planted individually in a single shovel slice. Christmas tree farms will never produce a forest (unless the farm closes), but they are sustainable agriculture.

I'm not sure what Dobbie's is selling the £10.00 trees for (that is, what use they think customers want them for). Possibly it was an old sign for last-minute Christmas customers?  Most of our "spent" Christmas trees here are used whole for wildlife cover, or sunk whole/weighted in lakes and ponds for fish cover, or are shredded for mulch.

It's good you are concerned about conservation, but I wouldn't be too concerned in this case.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 17:53 »
pre-loved trees in our area are collected by our local councils and replanted....

They are used to preserve our sand dunes...

https://www.lancswt.org.uk/Christmas-tree-planting-2024

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 19:25 »
Interesting uses for old Christmas trees. Some rescue places take them for food for some residents,goats I think.
I have a real tree a, because it is a crop & b, I don’t or very rarely buy cut flowers so my Christmas tree is in lieu of that  :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 42 queries.