Peter Beales roses

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

Peter Beales roses
« on: December 12, 2023, 15:14 »
we had a wonderful presentation at our local gardening club the other night from a representative from Peter Beales Roses during the presentation he mentioned that the company [Peter Beales roses] was up for sale and that there where several interested parties maybe looking towards buying the company but no names where mentioned at the time so does anyone know or heard the business being sold ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Peter Beales roses
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 08:13 »
That's bad news, there'll be no competition for David Austin roses, if they go out of business....
This confirms it's up for sale, but doesn't explain why
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23607555.attleboroughs-peter-beales-garden-centre-goes-sale/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 08:19 »
I think it has been a really tough year for garden centres and wouldn’t be surprised if some change hands. Dobbies has reported losses and lower turnover than usual and I have heard a few others have struggled a bit.

Probably a combination of people cutting back on spending and a lousy summer.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 12:18 »
the problem with Garden centres is there getting to expensive when you look for a pot plant that's going to cost you nearly a tenner per pot its starts to make you think about buying it and I think if these garden centres hadn't got a restaurant they would certainly be struggling its like the pubs the wet trade or beer sales in most cases don't keep them  going they depend of there food sales without that most  go under

if these Garden centres where to adopt the Auldi or lidl way of selling to reduce prices there turnover of stock would be much quicker at a lesser mark up on there plants and sundries sales would multiply   overnight stack um high and sell um quick  when the vale had our local G/C they used to reduce there packets of seed at the end of the season something Dobbies discontinued

so back to Peter beales roses its going to be interesting who buys the business and keeps it to there present  standard as it would be a real shame if it was to fold if anyone knows who's bought the business please put it on our site as I for one would be interested who buys it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 18:16 »
As a gardener I've bought 10 roses over the last few months, as I've worked out what I wanted where, in the new garden.
Thinking about it, at the average price of £20 each  :ohmy:  it doesn't take long to realise why people aren't buying them, by the bundle, as they used to.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wished I had brought the bushes from my old garden, especially as my old next door neighbour says that the garden has been completely cleared and turf laid, now.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 09:21 »
Three years ago we got a load of bare-rooted ones from David Austin to make a hedge. Ok, we did the best soil prep possible but they have been wonderful and well worth the money. It's a difficult decision if you only want one or two. Do you go for ones from a reputable supplier or just wing it from wherever? Also, it depends on which particular one you want.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Beales Department Store Closing down Sale

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 11:08
by Goosegirl
xx
Peter Seabrook

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2022, 07:04
by Growster...

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 42 queries.