Polytunnel - Should we open the doors?

• 6 Replies

alcur

Polytunnel - Should we open the doors?
« on: March 17, 2013, 15:12 »
Hi All

First time post on here so be gentle.  I've looked through these marvellous forum and can't see an answer to this so apologies if it has been covered before. I've lurked in these forums for a long time and have picked up more useful info than I realise.

On our allotment we have a large communal polytunnel and we're starting to disagree on when the doors should be opened.  One member has started to put up signs demanding that others leave the doors open.  I think it's far too early to be thinking about having them open just now other than for a little blow through.  I've lost a tray of basil, which isn't the end of the world but is annoying, and others have been whispering their malcontent.  We're all new to this so really aren't sure what we should be doing.

I've searched the internet and read all sorts of documents but I can't find a definitive answer as to how we should do this.  Should we wait until the thermometer hits 20 degrees or should we make a habit and start as we'll need to go on in the summer (if it arrives this year)?

I know this isn't an exact science but any pointers that anyone can give me I'd be hugely appreciative of.

Totty

Re: Polytunnel - Should we open the doors?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 22:21 »
If people have seedlings growing and trying to germinate seed, although ventilation is important, I would say it's inconsiderate to demand that the doors are opened up much at all yet.
I would discuss with the committee the idea of fitting windbreak netting instead of polythene on half of the doors. This will give sufficient airflow at this time of year without letting gusts of wind inside or losing heat.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 15:22 »
I think Totty has got it absolutely right - growing under glass/plastic always involves trying to balance heat and humidity; there isn't much of the former about so far this year but it's never wise to ignore ventilation altogether.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bravemurphy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 15:50 »
I can see the 2 sides point but ventilation is needed or everything in that tunnel will get wiped out by grey mould,once its in there that would be it for this growing season.

kitch

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:56 »
I've a Tunnel and i cant see the point in giving it a good scrub in feb and then starve of air for all them nasty bugs to come back in.
Put seedlings in a glass greenhouse much better.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 15:53 »
I have replaced the polythene in the top half of both doors with green windbreak netting which seems to be working well.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 18:56 »
Best solution all round I think.

Totty

xx
When to close the doors?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

20 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 18:13
by adri123
xx
When to open Greenhouse door?

Started by Ghost on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:18
by Ma Lowe
xx
polytunnel

Started by thecakebaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 17:28
by zopadooper
xx
Why buy a polytunnel ?

Started by fibilou on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 19:21
by japagow

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.