How Many More Melons?

• 3 Replies

Totty

How Many More Melons?
« on: July 29, 2010, 16:08 »
I was given a helthy little melon plant maybe 6 weeks ago which i planted in a polythene cold frame up the allotment, in the last two weeks it has gone crazy, flowers everywhere and four fruits have properly set, (with a little help), How many fruits should one plant be expected to grow nicely?

I have heard contrasting views on this, some saying limit them to four, others just letting them go.

Its quite exiting to grow something semi exotic and would like glean whatever i can from it.

Regards

Totty

Trillium

Re: How Many More Melons?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 20:20 »
In the UK climate, you can realistically expect the first 4 melons to ripen to worthwhile size. More would develop but never properly mature before frost and fall cold hit them to a standstill or dead. Remember, they are tropical plants. So, best to pinch off the vine after the 4th fruit and let the plant use its energy to size them up nicely.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:44 »
I'm in the max-4-fruit camp, although I have some varieties that are much more leafy and prolific which could perhaps manage more, and other varieties that are more weedy - growth-wise - and also tend not to pollinate too well either, on those I am lucky to get four pollinated fruit.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:17 »
We have a galia melon plant- I´ve picked 7 fruits- we thought that would be the end- we hae another 1 growing on the plant now-  we live in Spain though, so I guess that doesn´t help you.  Last year we had just 1 galia melon on th e plant.
Pamela

smiley
Melons

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 19:25
by Beetroot queen
xx
Melons on my hot bed

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 21:15
by shaun
xx
melons

Started by randy radish on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 09:35
by Minty
xx
Melons

Started by bayleaf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2022, 18:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 32 queries.