Melons

• 5 Replies

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Melons
« on: April 15, 2006, 09:12 »
Hiya guys, have u got any tips on growing melons? thanks
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Melons
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 09:56 »
I've never grown them myself but talking to a chap on the plot he said water was critical and keeping them warm. That's pretty obvious :)
Sorry, nothing better to add.

What variety were you thinking of growing?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Melons
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 21:51 »
I'm trying melons for the first time.  So far only 4 out of 11 seeds have germinated, but I think they've not been warm enough.  They are Ogen melons.  I also planted some seeds that I saved from a honeydew last year, but its only an experiment, so if none of them grow well, I haven't lost anything have I?

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Melons
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 21:54 »
I aint got a clue doesnt say on the pkt lol i bought them last yr from lidl's for 20p lol They grew last yr and i had 5p sized melons on them but they just died, i fed them with miracle grow but dont know if there is anything else i can do with them lol

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Melons
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 21:57 »
Just searched the net and found this, hope this is helpful for some1 else to...

Growing Melons.

If you have an unheated greenhouse and are starting to lose you enthusiasm for cucumbers, and your friends no longer visit you in late summer to avoid the free tomatoes. Then its time to try growing melons - regain your friends and impress your neighbours with your horticultural skills.

Sow the seeds inside between mid April and end of May, sow directly into 3-inch pots using standard potting compost. Once the seedlings have two true leaves it is time to plant them out in a cold glasshouse into grow bags or preferably directly into well prepared ground with lots of organic matter in the soil. (Composted grass clippings and straw is idea if trenched in using the double digging method.)

Create some support, this can be a single line of string tied to the supports in the glasshouse roof and secured in the ground with a peg next to the base of the melon or the GardenAdvice team often use a fan trellis which is simple and reusable next season. As the melon starts to grow you should tied the strongest shoot to the support and pinch out the side shoots which grow from the main stem. Once the stem has reached the top of the support pinch out the leading shoot. This will make the plant concentrate on the formation of fruits.

Watering holds the key to successful melon growing. The best way to water is with a drip irrigation system. You need to water so that the plant never gets wet. Other methods that have been employed in the past have included inserting a 3-inch pipe when planting so you can water directly to the roots with a watering can. Over watering can cause the fruit to split so try to keep the moist constantly moist but not wet.

Float like a butterfly and pollinate like a bee. Once the flowers have formed you should take a small paintbrush and lightly brush each flower in turn to aid pollination. This job is best carried out mid day when the humidity is high. After 2 or 3 days you should remove the male flowers (the females have a miniature melon growing behind the flower)

Safes guard your efforts. As soon as the fruits reach the size of tennis balls you need to use string nets to support them. As the summer progresses and the fruits reach full size remove a few leafs to allow the fruit to ripen.

Feeding is simple once a week feed with a liquid tomato fertiliser once the fruit starts to grow

Glasshouse conditions in high summer need to be kept humid on the hottest days by watering the path early in the morning or by standing a bucket of water in the glasshouse.

Growing melons is a challenge but the rewards are well worth the effort

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Melons
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 23:00 »
Oooh, thanks for that Phoenix!

xx
melons

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 15:45
by Trillium
xx
Melons

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 07:43
by Wildeone
xx
Melons

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 08:10
by WG.
xx
Melons

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2021, 20:29
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 38 queries.